Question on a Nam SKS legal bring-back.

Thread: Question on a Nam SKS legal bring-back.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Question Question on a Nam SKS legal bring-back.

A Nam U.S. Marine Vet good friend took an SKS off a V.C. who did not need it anymore. Filled out all the paperwork and was given permission for a mail home. This was common with artifacts and semi weapons during the Nam era, perfectly legal with your C.O.s permission.
    But the Vet lost the DD-603 paperwork that was with the weapon. Would the powers that be have a record of this for replacement? Thank you in advance.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

As FUBAR-ed as the military records were during those days,,I doubt it. Good luck with that one,,,honestly I can't even make an suggestions of where to start in obtaining it.

Does he want the paperwork just for the collector value of the gun? He really won't need it for anything else other than the fact that,, that documentation will increase the value. Considerably.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by twa2471 View Post
    As FUBAR-ed as the military records were during those days,,I doubt it. Good luck with that one,,,honestly I can't even make an suggestions of where to start in obtaining it.

Does he want the paperwork just for the collector value of the gun? He really won't need it for anything else other than the fact that,, that documentation will increase the value. Considerably.
    Yeah I don't know on that one twa. Hell I do not even know what the form is. But he wants it.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I don't remember either, I sent a few things back that required that, but they went down the road with the guns so I can't check to see what to Hell the form# is. Sorry

I'm off to do my tax's today and will be stopping by the fun store after and I'll ask the guys there if they may happen to know what it may be. I'll touch base later with you on that one if I have any luck.

update @ 4:00 PM,,,, just got back and sorry bud,, they don't know either.

Good news though,,,I got out of the fun store with only a used $10 holster,,,that's unusual!!! I'm seldom able to get out of there for less than a couple bills!!!

Further update 9:25 PM This may or may not be it but I found a form that may be the one your looking for Tim,,,,, AR 608-4 "Control and Registration of War Trophies" do a search and check it out.

I've got to learn how to get links from one place to another better,,sometimes I can do it ,,other times I don't do so good if I can't just copy and paste.

I'm as bad as you sometimes Tim,, but I just don't happen to have a handy canal to chuck this mother fucker into when I can't!!!

God Damn computers anyways !!!
    Last edited by twa2471; 02-17-2015 at 09:41 PM.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Thank you twa for checking into that. Damn I sent back uniforms, helmets, canteens, odds and ends of booty. Other guys were sending back SKSs and AKs. This was pre 68' now and someone back home could legally register them. Things slowed with the new laws back in the states.
    Think the young Troops now cannot even send back a rug?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 4thIDvet View Post
    Thank you twa for checking into that. Damn I sent back uniforms, helmets, canteens, odds and ends of booty. Other guys were sending back SKSs and AKs. This was pre 68' now and someone back home could legally register them. Things slowed with the new laws back in the states.
    Think the young Troops now cannot even send back a rug?
    A marine I know returning from Bush's first adventure in the sandbox said they were allowed ONE "captured bayonet" as a war trophy. Paperwork required! He said some guys had small containers of sand from their AO and when returning they were made to empty them out! Like a few pounds of sand is going to be missed? Of course we left a bunch of stuff behind the first time we pulled out, multi thousand dollar nightvision weapon sights were determined to be "too expensive to ship back" so this marine was ordered to put a 9mm round through every sight in his unit and bury them! I'm pretty sure every Marine there would have gladly paid the postage to send a few home for their own personal use if the .GOV no longer wanted them.

Vietnam was probably when the brass started clamping down on war booty, WWII and Korea you could ship back anything short of an aircraft carrier if ya got your CO to sign off on it. Tons of stuff came back even without the paperwork, "if it fits it ships!" was around a long time before flat rate boxes from the post office.

Googled that form number, looks like it was a triplicate like everything else and the regs had them send a copy to DC. Dunno where it went from there, probably sitting in crate next to the Ark... but maybe someone from that office can point you in the right direction. I would guess the third copy was retained by the unit issuing it, so maybe the archives for that unit still has it?

"The duplicate copy will be forwarded by the certifying officer direct to The Provost Marshal General, Department of the Army, Washington, DC 20314."

Link to the Provost Marshal General website:

Office of the Provost Marshal General | The United States Army

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Damn, kernel I had a Russian AK in my hand ready to box up and ship. Nobody wanted the damn junk, hell nor did I. I have a pict. somewhere in the room I have to dig out.
    The damn M.P.s were confiscating them "Gibs me dat" then the S.O.B.s were shipping them back home. Free Russian AKs now their what like $25 grand full auto tax stamped? Hurry up with your time machine, you can do it.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.