• 1 Post By kernelkrink
  • 1 Post By dutigaf
  • 1 Post By kernelkrink
  • 1 Post By dutigaf

Thread: At-home lower back traction?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default At-home lower back traction?

Been having some problems with my legs, Doc sent me to the physical therapy folks and they put me on a traction machine for a couple weeks because they think I have a pinched nerve. Basically you just lie on a bed with a strap around your chest attached to the head of the bed, and a strap around your waist attaches to a fancy ATV winch at the foot of the bed. It takes up the slack and slowly ramps up to about 40lbs of pull, then backs off for a bit then ramps up, repeating for a 15 minute cycle. After about 3 treatments a couple days apart I started noticing a real difference. It was definitely helping, then they stopped and said to just do stretching exercises at home. Those aren't helping much, after a few weeks I was just as bad as before.

So, I'm looking for a home or DIY method to decompress my spine. The popular solution is an inversion table, but hanging upside down would give me a killer headache in just a few minutes. They also make essentially a large section of pipe you lay over face up, arching your back over it and stretching it. Looks uncomfortable as hell, plus my flexibility is gone down there.

Then there are the "Dr. Ho" type belts that basically inflate and grow vertically, pushing against the bottom of your ribcage and the top of your waist. That looks like a viable option, but I have A: a long torso, and B: a bit of a gut. The models in the ads are of course hourglass shaped and it works perfectly on them. On me, I have my doubts.

Anybody have experience with any of these or have alternatives?
    Tommo likes this.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

talk to Dan.... (Chiroone) im sure he can tell you some really helpful things for at home on this.

& i'll give you what they did with me for a herniated disc just a bit back.

they did traction on me just like you said for a couple weeks, then when they told me to switch over to home only i grabbed an inversion table (the 300lb version). This worked just as good as traction sessions at the PT place!

need to get back into using it.. its there & its free now..

about the headache part: if you jump on an inversion table & try to go for even a minute right out of the gate? YES you will get a killer headache!

you are supposed to go very slow with getting used to being inverted. 30 seconds first couple of times.... then a minute..... after about the first week of that? then it was no big deal to do a minute at each time morning & night.

oh & if you are on BP meds or anything like that? NOPE forget that.

you could always do a hanging weight from your waist while you rest on your elbows... like this:

but just hang there..
    Tommo likes this.
    Hate takes LESS energy & thought... Dont be so Lazy.

Building or Bitching? which are you here to do?

YES, i work for TEC Tactical. 02/07 SOT

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Of course I'm on BP meds. Why make things easy? Another setup I saw was basically a harness you wear under your arms and hang from a doorway using one of those chinup bars as the anchor point. Lets your lower body weight pull you apart. Of course that weight is substantially more than the 45 lbs the physical therapist set hers for.

I was thinking the home version would be about 15 minutes a session too, which is why I was looking for an equipment solution versus using muscle power to hold myself off the floor or whatever. If it's only a minute or two that is more do-able.

Funny story, one of the times I was being "put on the rack" the girl setting it up didn't get the belt tight enough and it started slipping down instead of pulling. When I told her, she went to shut off the machine and discovered she didn't know how to stop it mid-cycle! I'm like "isn't there a big red button marked 'emergency stop' or something right on top?" Nope, she had to unplug it to get it to stop! I imagine someone somewhere hooked up to that model machine has experienced a "Deadpool II" moment!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rbqlgp3tzrz21.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	309.3 KB 
ID:	53487
    Tommo likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

ive got a simple homemade rack in the basement that keeps you from having to do anything onther than rest on your forearms while the weight hangs on you...

& yes a 45lb plate works great with it. just didnt want to show you my hillbilly creation & get laughed at.

heres a bewtter pic for you... its actually called a hanging leg raise rack.. padded for your arms & such & you stay vertical

https://www.amazon.com/Livebest-Adju...-1036437401192
    Tommo likes this.
    Hate takes LESS energy & thought... Dont be so Lazy.

Building or Bitching? which are you here to do?

YES, i work for TEC Tactical. 02/07 SOT

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.