Injection mold for Yugo Pistol Grips

Thread: Injection mold for Yugo Pistol Grips

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

Default Injection mold for Yugo Pistol Grips

OK tool & Die guys, What would it take to make a 4 cavity injection mold to do up some of these grips? And would there be enough interest in the grips to pay for the tooling? The machinist where I work said it would be in the five digit range to have the tooling made. Chime in.
    Freedom is not free. Some will perish to preserve it for the many. Just as our Forefathers did before us, we must take up the battle and not waver. Victory is our only option.

Feedback Score

i think a plum version of the romy pistol grip sounds cool.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

duke whatever @ gunsnet is selling US MADE yugo grips.
    They are ok. He is just using a standard mold and is casting them.
    He isn't using IM.
    His quality varies. I got 4 or 5 grips from him.
    None of them met my standards so they will not be used on any of my "keepers".

4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Funny,

I investigated a four cavity injection molding setup for AK-74 followers. The price started at $5000. Injection molding has the advantage of a high throughput. If I decide to make a few followers for compliance purposes, I'll probably use a mold and make one or two an hour.

It might be worth it to keep my -74's looking authentic.
    "MOLON LABE!!"
    Spartan King Leonidas to the Persians in response to 'Lay down your arms.'

"COME AND TAKE THEM!"

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

You are probably looking at 15-20k for tooling. Parts will cost about 2-4 bucks each unless you want a 10k+ run of parts. People might pay 15-20 bucks each, but only those who care about a cosmetically correct rifle. You will need to sell 1500 + to break even. If you sell to dealers, they will pay a lot less so you would need to sell 3000 + to break even. It would take a long time to make it pay off... if at all. I would like some though...

-Yarro

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

yarro,

Your economic analysis is flawless. It kinda puts things in perspective; the guys who take these risks take real risks.

If somebody knows of an intermediate technology with lower fixed costs, the project might be doable.
    "MOLON LABE!!"
    Spartan King Leonidas to the Persians in response to 'Lay down your arms.'

"COME AND TAKE THEM!"

Feedback Score

Yarro gave you a pretty good estimate on what a mold to make these would cost. I don't think it was taken into consideration, but there's other factors that have to be figured into the final product cost as well.
    Depending on what type of material you'd plan on using, currently you're looking at anywhere from eighty cents to a dollar plus per pound. That would be for previously unused/virgin material. You could go the route of using cheaper recycled material, but with that you run the risk of it having possible contamination.
    More things that would have to be considered are the cost of the press time. Would it be a short run or a long one? Shorter runs generally cost more. Would an opperator be needed at the machine while the parts are being ran? They don't work for free. Would you be working with a local molder? No? Have to pay to get the final product shipped to you.
    I'm not trying to "rain on your parade", but there's lots of variables that need to be thought about.

Brian--a plastics injection technician

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.