mill - lathe combo - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: mill - lathe combo

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)

ok guys I hear what you are saying. I see a small lathe an northern that looks prety good. how about a small mill that is half decant.
    7.62x39 I am looking at your links now maby I will answer my own ??

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)

1500 is more than I have but that looks beter than the one I saw their I could go for that one. thanks.
    I need to save this thread so I can find all this when I am ready.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

That is the machine I have although I bought mine several years ago when they were sold by Smithy under the name of Midas 1720 CNC (it was CNC "ready"). They no longer handle that machine although Grizzly and Harbour Freight do. I still think if you ask the guys here they will tell you a combo is not as versatile as seperate machines.
    Gunco member #11

“it is dangerous to be right in matters about which the established authorities are wrong” Voltaire

4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)

I was one click away from buying a mini lathe it was 7" over and 12" between center, with a bunch of extras price $369. oh well no hurry.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by hotbarrel
    I was one click away from buying a mini lathe it was 7" over and 12" between center, with a bunch of extras price $369. oh well no hurry.
    That's the bare minimum I'd go. IMO, better to go with an 8x14 or whatever that one is.

Don't go w/ the 7x10, it is actually a 7x8". Now that I know, I'm going to buy a 12" or 14" bed and swap it over.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Hotbarrel, one thing you need to remember about a Lathe is that to chuck a barrel to do threading or other work, you need a spindle bore size large enough for the barrel to pass through. Look for something at least 1-1/8?or even better 1-1/4? ID. I?m looking at buying too, and have talked to some guys that have used the combo machines and too a man they said not to buy them, get separate machines.
    I?m still thinking of the Grizzly Model G9729 Lathe/Mill at $1,395 as a possibility. It?ll turn 31? between centers and has a spindle bore of 1-1/8?.
    Check it out here, http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...mnumber=g9729&
    I had a friend take me to a dealer up in Rockford, IL. This guy had a full size Bridgeport Knee Mill (No DRO) with some tooling for $1,000; it was in great shape and showed little use. I wish I?d had the money right then because it sold fast and I missed it.
    "Moss Isley spaceport. You'll not find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy"
    (Actually this better describes Washington than Moss Isley)

Sunny South Florida aka: knee deep in horse manure!
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I have noticed on some of the cheaper versions, there isn't a good compound cross slide on it. Also, the carriage is traversed using a crank at the end of the acme screw. This is pretty inconvienent. The height of the lathe tool holder seems pretty high to me also (almost like a pedestal). This would lead to some inaccuracy to me.
    I would go for a benchtop lathe and mini-mill seperately. I would only buy a lathe with a quick change gear box. But that is only my opinion.
    Life Is For Service

Sunny South Florida aka: knee deep in horse manure!
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by baodai
    Interesting machine.
    Life Is For Service

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.