Drill Press Replacement - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Drill Press Replacement

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)

I have a cheapo $39 moddle and man it is about a thousand times better than drilling by hand and it cost the same as a hand drill. next I realy want a drilling milling that also is a layth. I see them for less than 1000. I know this realy won't help you find a new drill but you allready have the suggestion I would have made.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtalert
    Scubadvr,
    Did you have problems with the craftsman drill press? I am less than thrilled with mine.

I think the chuck is a pos and it is not as accurate as it could be. I think with a better model that tolerences will be better, causing my drills to be more precise. Maybe I am like the poor golfer blaming his bad game on the ball.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by scubadvr
    I think the chuck is a pos and it is not as accurate as it could be. I think with a better model that tolerences will be better, causing my drills to be more precise. Maybe I am like the poor golfer blaming his bad game on the ball.
    I don't think it's you Jack. You're absolutely correct "the chuck is a pos". It doesn't tighten as well as it should and bits seem to have way too much wobble. It's a pain in the arse. Let us know what you replace it with. What the hell happened to Craftsman anyway! Still like their wrenches and screwdrivers though.
    Tom

4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtalert
    Scubadvr,
    Did you have problems with the craftsman drill press? I am less than thrilled with mine.
    My Craftsman works just fine for most projects, but sometimes it would be nice to have something with just a little "more power" and more stable in its construction. It will flex if pushed to far. Over-all it is a well constructed tool and works ok if used within its limits. By the way - Thanks for the heads-up on this site, very impressive and I see great things happening here.

Feedback Score

I got the Harbor Freight version of this one MILL DRILL and if you are seriously going to drop a grand or so on something like this I would highly recommend saving up some more money and buying something with a knee on it. While my mill drill does work well I have to tram the head back in every time I raise or lower the head. This gets old real fast. The Shumatech DRO set up that Rhino keeps beating me over the head with sure looks *****en though . Looks like a guy could make an unending stream of AR lowers with that set up and to a certain degree it would make my ***** about the lack of a knee on my set up go away. If I can run the table out to one side so I have the room I need to do bit changes and then run it back in to EXACTLY where I left off and not have to smoke my brain dealing with the whole backlash thing then I think I could live with it.

Edited to add that the words "MILL DRILL" are actually a hyperlink, but when I view the post they look just like any other text on the page.
    Last edited by Rule .308; 02-13-2004 at 11:08 PM.
    Rule .308

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)

I bought a cheapo floor drill years ago and put it in the garage, with the weather we have here it didn't take long to start to rust. But I have used it for a mill (unbeliveable but true) and have accomplished many things with an
    x-y table attached to it. I wouldn't say it's accurate by any means but it has let me make things I couldn't have done without. What ever you decide try to get the most ridgid piece you can. Having been around a few machinist has spoiled me and after my move will be getting a full size mill with DRO....just gotta have DRO.

Edited to correct spelling........

Feedback Score

I tend to stay clear of Crapsman alltogether. check the harbor freight site... as previously mentioned... free shipping, if you can stand the wait... been three weeks or better waiting for my last order from them. I think they're coming up to Maine via sea turtle...
    Send Lawyers, Guns, and Money

Sunny South Florida aka: knee deep in horse manure!
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

My son picked up a variable speed rockwell drill press, which he left in my shop. It is an awesome machine that you can change speeds while running, by turning a knob on the headstock. No belt changing.
    Life Is For Service

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Does anyone have a drill press recommendation for those of us that are not machinest? I don't want to spend $400 to $1,000 on a drill press. Can I get by with something less ambitious? The only milling I think I will be doing is things like cutting out a magazine well or some such other square hole. I think a good drill press and a machinist vice will be all I need.

I want everyone to understand I have never built an AK before so I DON'T KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT. I am not a machinist, I'm a computer guy, and I'm 60 years old so I don't think I will live long enough to get a return on investment on a milling machine. So if someone could recommend a good press for the budget minded I would appreciate it. I'm not cheap but I don't think I will build more than 5 guns so it would not make sense to spend over a $1,000 on just tooling.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

This is just one viewpoint that echoes earlier thoughts:

The $49 drill presses will work to do just about everything if coupled with a xy table.

A thousand dollars will buy a full-blown Bridgeport which is only required by the insane addicts.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.