Drill Press Replacement - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Drill Press Replacement

Feedback Score

Default drill press

for a cheap bench top drill press i would check out home depot they use to have a royobi i think thats how you spell it bench top that looked pretty good if i wanted to do light milling i would look for a used bench top mill drill if you look for a while you could find one for under $500 the mill drill would be great for milling receivers.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

This looks nice but I don't know squat about milling.

$399 solution - Mill-Drill-Lathe with One Machine
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=39743

$279 solution - MICRO MILL/DRILL
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=47158

Could someone that knows something about milling take a look at this and tell me what they think about these choices. It seems like if you are into it for $300 you might as well spend the extra hundred and get more. It looks like you get quite a bit more for a little extra.

Please let me stress I don't know anything about this stuff but I would like to learn. What could I do with a rig like the ones above. I will need to justify the expense. As I see it now I could probably do the things I need to do with a $100 drill press and a $40 dollar machinest vice. So were up to $150, then you think "well, for about double I could have a real mill/drill" then you think "well, if I just add another $100 I can have a Mill-Drill-Lathe". Most of you are guys so you know all about this problem. I guess what I want is something that is just a little more than I need. This idea started as getting a simple drill press that I could use to drill blanks/rivets and mill mag wells and other such openings when I put a kit together. I don't plan on doing much more that that then I think about that "fixture" or "tool" I could build to samve money...

Any idea or comments on the equipment choices above would be appreciated

Sunny South Florida aka: knee deep in horse manure!
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I am heading over to a friend's shop tonight. He closed his big shop and moved most of his equipment to a smaller one. He is selling everything that he doesn't need. He has two very heavy duty floor model Craftsman drill presses that we are picking up tonight. They are probably from the 50's or 60's. $75.00 each. I already picked up a Rockwell floor model disk and belt sander for $250.00. It is a monster. I picked up a Rockwell diamond tool grinder for $75.00. He has about a thousand or more end mills and lathe tools. Where is Winn when you need him!! He would drool over the precision 6" and 4" mill vises that I just got for $150.00.
    Life Is For Service

4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

George--

Remember that Deb doesn't want anything the horse won't eat.
    Pick up every end mill that looks good!! I'm breaking about three a day--my learning curve looks like snapped carbide.

Master Endmill Breaker Rhino_66's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Don't feel bad Winn. I started learning mill work on aluminum, which can be seriously hogged without too much worry. Try that with steel and you're eating bits left and right! The lathe really starts singing (and then squalling) when you try to take cuts like that on it, too.

Now that I'm really starting to get the bug for metalwork, I'm discovering all the cool attachments for the table and cutters that are available. Since I'm just a hack novice, the cheap Chinese and Indian stuff is just fine. So here's a couple links... Some of the cheap stuff isn't too bad!

http://www.victornet.com/cgi-bin/victor/index.html

http://www.wttool.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

I now have a tooling budget. I find myself saving up for index plates, boring heads, and reamers...

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Ryan-- thanks for the leads!

I also finally discovered aluminum and was cutting some rear trunnions tonight. It makes life so much easier.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.