AK Front Sight Adjustments
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AK Front Sight Adjustments

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default AK Front Sight Adjustments

Anybody know what the front sight thread pitch is for an AK? Is there a front sight adjustment chart for "1 turn raises/lowers the shot group at 100 yards by xxx amount"?
    Retired US Navy
    NRA Life Member -- NAHC Life Member
    "Take, sink, burn, or destroy the enemy fleet": Lord St.Vincent's orders to Nelson off Toulon, 21 May 1798
    Pretty much spells it out, huh?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Polish UF. Thread pitch looks like 0.75mm. Sight radius is 15". Gotta run, so I'll leave the math to you. I know you can handle it.
    No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. ~Dave Barry, Dave Barry Turns 50

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

As I'm reaching for the trig tables, I suddenly realise it's a straight line calculation.

In its simplest sense, the line of sight will deviate from the path .75mm every 15" for a 360 degree turn.

At 100 times the sight radius, 125 yards, 75mm variation, roughly 3 inches.

Thanks -- that's one of those things I fiddle with but don't figure out.
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Hey, thanks guys. Gee, I slip away from the desk for some family stuff and everybody solves my question.... Is this place great or what!?!?
    Retired US Navy
    "Take, sink, burn, or destroy the enemy fleet": Lord St.Vincent's orders to Nelson off Toulon, 21 May 1798

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Oops. Wait a minute. Winn -- 100 times the sight distance (15" is 1.25 feet [not yards]) is 125 feet, or ~42 yards. So 1 revolution of the front sight is actually 75mm vertical adjustment at 42 yards, or 178mm at 100 yards. Approximately 7.6 inches rise/fall at 100 yards.

Seems kinda excessive?
    Retired US Navy

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

oops-- my numbers are wrong. I'll look again.
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

For 100 yards, I'm getting 3600 inches divided by 15 inches equals 240 flops. 240 times .75mm equals 180mm. 180mm divided by 25.4 equals 7.1 inches per turn at 100 yards.
    No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. ~Dave Barry, Dave Barry Turns 50

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Yea, I rounded differently. 7.1 to 7.6 inches at 100 yards.... like my glaucoma-old-eyes could differentiate that over those crusty old AK battle sights.

But that's what I was looking for: each turn of the AK front sight will raise or lower point of aim by about 7 inches.

Ozzy -- did you measure the front thread pitch directly? I figured it was a metric pitch but I only have a US-pitch thread guage, so I didn't even dig that out.
    Retired US Navy

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I used a metric thread pitch gauge and a draftsmans lighted magnifying glass. The gauge is from a Irwin/Hanson (IRW26317), 41 Pc. - Metric 3mm to 12mm Tap and Die Set that includes .75mm, .8mm and .9mm. The .8mm was close and the .75 fit perfectly. But this was only on the 5 threads that were already exposed. I didnt run the post all the way out. And I rounded the 15" sight radius. So I dont know exactly how many significant digits that makes. 1.3?

7 inches per 100yds sounds good to me. 7 being a lucky number and all.

Last edited by ozzy the nuke; 02-21-2006 at 01:50 PM.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Thanks, Ozzy. Always a big help.
    Retired US Navy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.