Pin pressing aid. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pin pressing aid.

Feedback Score

Default I've been busier than..

a one armed paper hanger! I have not had a chance to give it a whirl! Maybe this weekend.

I don't think that it will be a problem with the 1/4" X 20 threads of the aluminum cap. They go all of the way through and the steel bolt touches the end of the steel ram.

I'll post text and pictures when I get moving again!

Yours,
    Thumb Clip Pull Pin.

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Thumb Clip Pull Pin
    Hey hotbarrel,

Did you ever make a modified pin pusher for that big honkin' press of yours? 55 tons!!

I was just wondering what the pressure reads when you press out a barrel pin out of the trunion!

Yours,
    Thumb Clip Pull Pin
    well here is the story
    the 55 ton is at work and all I do their is use it to crush rivets with my handy dandy bucking bar. I do not want to bring a barreled reciever into work they get a little funny [you know]. But the average idiot will not have any idea what a stripped reciever is even with a trunion riveted in.
    As for pressure readings, all I see is when I crush rivets around 10 to 12 ton when finished. sorry I do not dare to bring a barreled reciever in to use the press so no barrel pin pressure readings, SORRY.
    I do all other rivets and pressing with an arbor press. Maby this will give you an idea how tight they are. I am pretty much hanging my 220 pounds on the end of an 18 inch long bar in the arbor press than TAP with a 3 pound hammer to the top of the press rack. I guess you would say it is pretty tight to start..
    no I have not yet made a pin pushing head yet for the arbor press but the print is ready in my head. Square tube stock, weld on the bottom a 1/2" thick square plate, drill a hole allmost all the way through and put in a pin, I may drill more than one size hole for more than one size pin. then drill small nockout pin holes like in your bar.
    The only other press work I do is to press the barrel in and I use a floor jack for that. I was only going to do it this way once, but heck, now I am good at it and see no reason to change method. I even did my Romak111 with a floor jack :smile: . some of you guys have seen pics of this, it is pretty funny but it works

Feedback Score

Well, it only took me 6 months to get back to this project!

I used my barrel pin pressing aid the other night! It worked just fine! (I will have to make a work light for my press now! It sits in a dimly lit corner of my garage next to my lathe. It was pretty hard to line up the pin from the ram to the barrel/trunion without additional lighting.)

This was really the first time that I used the press. I started pumping the handle. My pin made contact barrel pin and the whole barrel assembly started to twist. I backed off the pressure and put a piece of aluminium under the corner of the trunion, close to the pin.

I started pumping again. I watched as the trunion compressed the aluminium shim. I stopped and checked everything to make sure no part of the barrel assembly was touching down on the big black press plates. Nothing was touching, so I gave it a couple more pumps. All at once I heard a "crack" or a "snap" and the pin moved. I checked to make sure my new pin pusher was centered on the pin. It was so I kept pumping.

I cut the bolt in my pin pushing aid a little too short. I wanted it to be short and rigid so that it would not bend and break. I had to stop, back off the pressure, find a short piece of steel rod, put it in the barrel pin hole and finish drivng out the barrel pin.

*Note to self* Put a trash can under the press so that the #*@$%&* pin won't roll under the lathe!

I did not have any trouble at all with the bolt in the aid bending, and there was no damage to the aluminium part of the aid.

Yours,
    Thumb Clip Pull Pin

4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements

Feedback Score

The bolt bent pretty badly in my little pin pressing aid the very next time that I used it. It turns out that the bolt was as soft as a stinking turd in a toilet bowl! I buggered up the aluminium trying to get the dang bolt out. I had to hammer the cap back onto the ram of the press.

I guess that the next step is to get some oil hardening drill rod, cut 1/4" X 20 threads per inch in it, then harden the new bolt.

I think that I will make a pair of them. One will be very short so I can get the barrel pin to start to move, then switch over to a longer pin that will press the barrel pin the rest of the way out. *Credit where credit is due* I got this idea this past weekend at the Central Virginia October 2004 Build Fest. I had the opportunity to use Xebec's barrel pin pressing aid when my pin pressing aid bolt bent badly.

Yours,
    Thumb Clip Pull Pin.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

I think I have a solution for this. I will send details later on my ideal later when I am not a work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.