Adjustable Reamers
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adjustable Reamers

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Adjustable Reamers

I'm looking for recommendations on how to measure an adjustable reamer's cutting diameter. I have been using my calipers to measure opposing blades, and gently rotating the calipers around the chucked-up reamer. I can only get down to about .010" accuracy.

The problem I'm having is that I'm doing the step-cut method - by that I mean cutting smaller then working up to the target size. I'm doing all of tihs in my mini-mill. I'm finding that in doing so, the size of the mini mill and the vise setup is not conducive for quick adjustments to the reamer. As a result I'm spending a great deal of time in taking off a small amount of metal - thereby making the entire project more difficult.

It occurred to me that I may be able to set the reamer to the "largest" size and just go for it. Would this ruin or prematurely wear down my reamer? I've been adjusting the reamer step-by-step by twisting the reamer blade collars about 1-3 rotations at a time. That is translating to about .005" - .010" per pass.

SO... any suggestions? Is the hard way the right way? Or is there a shortcut I can take?

Also, where does one find replacement reamer blades, in the off chance that one breaks when it is forced into the workpiece? Not saying *I* did that, but I know a guy...

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

If it is the reamers like I now then just measure and test fit as you go...they are tough as nailes and hard to mess up.
    "It's all over but the cryin'!"Moonshiner

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I didn't really know where this thread was going so I just had to look.....

4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Longboat
    I didn't really know where this thread was going so I just had to look.....
    You're not right!!!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Come on sound off people... how many people looked in this thread just to really see where Hcpookie was taking this one???

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I know what an adjustable reamer is, lol...but some do not and it could lead to some humorous questions
    "It's all over but the cryin'!"Moonshiner

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

FWIW, I dug around and found some information that basically confirms what I suspected:

"...expansion hand reamers have six adjustable blades?simply loosen one nut and tighten another to move the blades within their size range. To measure size, adjust blades to a known size (such as a bushing or ring), or measure across two opposite blades with a micrometer."

"To make an accurate hole, the work is drilled approximately .010" (.25mm)smaller than the reamer size. The work should be slowly rotated and the reamer slowly fed into the hole while applying plenty of cutting oil. The reamer should be frequently removed and cleared of chips. Never rotate a reamer backwards in the work as this can dull the cutting edges."

Feedback Score

Thumbs up Adj reamer

Yes this post did catch my eye. I built my first ak from a Polish kit awhile ago. I read alot here and there. I used small drill bits and worked my way up to the size needed for the hammer, trigger pin sizes. I used small files to open these holes up to the proper size. It functions great. I am buying one each of the Yugo kits and would like to get the trigger hammer holes perfect. I read to use these adjustable reamers for this job. I am not a machinist so I am not sure what size or type or where to buy these. Can someone help here. Many thanks Steve

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Enco has the adjustable reamers. Just like it says go slow, clean and check often. I put mine in the chuck and turn and lower by hand. I'm not a machinst either, and I prefer the non adjustable hand reamers. They come in 14 different over and under sizes and are easier to control. Enco has them also

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by krallstar
    Yes this post did catch my eye. I built my first ak from a Polish kit awhile ago. I read alot here and there. I used small drill bits and worked my way up to the size needed for the hammer, trigger pin sizes. I used small files to open these holes up to the proper size. It functions great. I am buying one each of the Yugo kits and would like to get the trigger hammer holes perfect. I read to use these adjustable reamers for this job. I am not a machinist so I am not sure what size or type or where to buy these. Can someone help here. Many thanks Steve
    You'll need one each "B" and "C" reamer. HF has a clearance on a complete reamer set for $40. Got mine from a sidewalk sale but they should be available online.

http://pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/AK...ng/reaming.htm

Also from travers:

Adjustable Reamer "B" Travers #04-150-002 $13.57
    Adjustable Reamer "C" Travers #04-150-003 $14.46

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.