US-made trunion? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: US-made trunion?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

If its too thin I'll bet you could turn down an appropriately-sized piece of gas pipe, to make a sleeve to fit over the barrel. Would have to bore or ream out the middle.

Use either a gas pipe, or machine from a solid bar of steel. I went to the scrap yard and found dozens of perfect-sized hardened billets just waiting to be ground down.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by hcpookie
    Why not? I would like to try to make an (affordable) RPK front trunion. What metal could be used to make a trunion? Would any old scrap metal work? Obviously, tool steel would be best but I don't know what the billets in my garage are made from. They appear to be hardened steel billets but I have no way of knowing what alloy.

Which brings me to my second idea - got this from Winn's RPK project - what about "shims" that could be placed on a normal trunion (like that $15 K-Var bulgy "discard" trunion - http://www.k-var.com/product.asp?0=205&1=206&3=450).

These shims would provide the extra material to make the normal trunion function with an RPK reciever? The shim would consist of all the "bulged" material on the sides of the RPK trunion, that keeps it from laying flat (compared to a normal trunion). Would this work, or is this asking for trouble? Using this, with a coldsteel4us RPK receiver flat, and the $15 K-Var trunion, would give us an affordable RPK.

I'm thinking this shim could even be silver-soldered to the trunion, but that would impart heat, and I'm not sure if the trunion would like that. OTOH, Winn's toothpick test from many moons ago proved there isn't a great deal of force imparted to the front trunion, so perhaps this would be OK - can anyone think of a reason NOT to do this? It would be a relatively simple mill job... heck, one could even use a file and dremel to make these shims.
    It is possible to shim the smaller RPK trunnion's to fit a regular size AK receiver.

Two shims, each .010, can be installed on each side of the RPK trunnion and it will bring its total width to 1.25 in.. Of course you're wanting to go the other way.

This however doesn't really doesn't address your issue: how to get a reasonably priced RPK 74.

Creating the bulge is not that difficult although I'm indulging in a little mental fantasy now-- I've not done this. Drop the 74 trunnion in there, fill them with a weld, and mill it all smooth. I've never seen the weld heat create a problem with the trunnion.

There's also another way of skinning this cat. I've got a store bought, milled receiver RPK which was justified on the basis of " I gotta know what one looks like ". The milled have straight walls and the lightening cut.

The difficulty I've encountered is locating the RPK 74 barrels.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Winn R
    There's also another way of skinning this cat. I've got a store bought, milled receiver RPK which was justified on the basis of " I gotta know what one looks like ". The milled have straight walls and the lightening cut.

The difficulty I've encountered is locating the RPK 74 barrels.
    Winn! Nice to hear from you.

I've been thinking about the milled route for an RPK-47... there are Arsenal single-stack milled receivers to be found for $270, and would give me most of the parts except the barrel. I'd use my brand-new mini-mill to ream out the mag well, and find a new barrel.

I posted the question about RPK barrel availability on K-var's forum, and was told to call to see what inventory they had on hand. Apparently they have available, or can obtain, RPK barrels if you ask for them.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by hcpookie
    Winn! Nice to hear from you.

I've been thinking about the milled route for an RPK-47... there are Arsenal single-stack milled receivers to be found for $270, and would give me most of the parts except the barrel. I'd use my brand-new mini-mill to ream out the mag well, and find a new barrel.

I posted the question about RPK barrel availability on K-var's forum, and was told to call to see what inventory they had on hand. Apparently they have available, or can obtain, RPK barrels if you ask for them.
    Do you mean like this one RPK74 Barrel assembly $329 is a little pricey but then again if no one else has them, lol. Here is a picture

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Rumors of my demise were greatly exaggerated. They left a candle in the window for me and I eventually stumbled in.

This is interesting:

$270 for the receiver
    $330 for the barrel
    $100 for parts and furniture
    Is still less than paid for the milled RPK 47. And this will get you a '74.

Hummmmmg

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sniper69
    Do you mean like this one RPK74 Barrel assembly $329 is a little pricey but then again if no one else has them, lol. Here is a picture
    Pricey indeed! Did you read the fine print? No drift pin holes are drilled, and so the notches for the handguard retainer and barrel pin must be machined/reamed. I think that's a good thing - not a de-milled kit but then again more work....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.