4130 tears when I try to bend it - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4130 tears when I try to bend it

Feedback Score

Nice... one more question: Do your blanks turn out like the Ace blanks?

The reason for my questions is I'm trying to decide if it's really worth it at this point to continue with my jig or just scrap it and use Ace blanks. I have the materials for the top rail jig, and another 5 pieces of 4130 to play with. Decisions, decisions!

Feedback Score

haha, thats your call. my first blank came out with a few problems, mainly my bolt relief on the top rail was a little too large so the carrier hits it on its way back. So it doesn't work properly right now. I made a few corrections to my jig but haven't had the motivation to bend any more blanks.

if you consider your free time worth money, go with the ACE blanks, if you'd rather bend it yourself just to see if you can do it and enjoy working with the metal. then continue with you blanks. You already have the sheet and the jigs. wanna use your time to play, continue. if you dont want to possibly waste your time and cause a little fustration, call ACE.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

This has probably been done but I'll check, did you grease the flat and the die well before forming?
    Constitution Or Bust
    Ron Paul 2012

4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements

Feedback Score

gunnysmith- nothing was greased for that first test-run. I plan on rounding the corners of the female die a little bit, smearing some grease and giving it another go probably this upcoming weekend and then I'll give an update here.

Feedback Score

Update- With a little grease and smoothed corners on both the male and female jigs, the bends turned out great. The only problem is that one side is being stubborn and won't form a right angle with the bottom. I've tried so hard to get that thing 90 degrees that the other side is bent more than 90 degrees. Something for me to do next weekend I guess.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.