Trail-Walking-Hiking-Backpacking Boots
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By twa2471

Thread: Trail-Walking-Hiking-Backpacking Boots

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Trail-Walking-Hiking-Backpacking Boots

Trail-Walking-Hiking-Backpacking Boots

I went to Cabela's this afternoon and got new boots for Trail-Walking, Hiking and Backpacking.

Trail Running -walking

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Boot (3).jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	38943

Got a pair of New Balance 703 shoes for mostly everyday use and walking-running the local trails in the hills/mountains.

Hiking Boots

Name:	Boot (2).jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	38945

Got a pair of Danners Radical 452 hiking boots.

Backpacking Boots

Name:	Boot (1).jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	38944

And lastly got a pair of Cabela's Rimrock backpacking boots.

I am wearing the Trail-Walking shoes now but will hopefully get into the back country (Uintas) this week and hike a few miles. Plan to do a little shooting with both my Nikon and CZ999 while out and about.

- Black Blade
    Last edited by Black Blade; 07-08-2015 at 11:30 PM.
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

New Balance are great trail boots and break in easy, but the last 2 pairs of Danner's I had didn't hold up well at all. Both split on the seams.

I was hiking the Appellation Trail working for the Forest Service at the time and wearing them every day but still they should hold up better than what they did for a supposedly "good grade" of boot. I was disappointed with the Danner myself, each pair failed with-in one season on the trail and I found them a bit heavy. I got almost 3 years out of the New Balance.
    Black Blade likes this.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Yeah, seems that Danners have the reputation going for them but reviews are mixed. I was also looking at Columbia Newton boots as they are rated good at a much lower price. However, when I went to the Columbia Store factory outlet they said "we don't have them here but we have something similar". I didn't want something "similar" so I left. I could buy online but boots are something I have to try on first. My Danners are size 11.5 and my Rimrock's are size 10.5. Funny how the size is inconsistent. My size should be size 11 but shoe makers can vary so much.
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

You bet they do, that's why I have to try on or be fit for boots and not mail order them. I have 11 also but a fairly wide foot so it's hard to fit me well.

After awhile I had my hiking boots custom made by a guy in NH,,that's rather famous for making hiking boots for professional mountaineer's, but I don't recall his name or company name.

Those were really Sweet boots, a bit expensive but a perfect fit and like breaking in a pair of sneakers. The lead time was long though,,6 months or better. First pair I got were a titch over 350 and well over double of what most any other really good boots cost back then, but then,,they lasted me almost 20 years till I literally wore a hole through a vibrum sole,,and that ain't easy.

There must have been a mile or two on them??? Lets see, 2 end to end trips on the AT one on the new international AT , 1 on the Pacific Crest Trail, Pacific Northwest Trail,almost every > 3500' peak East of the Mississippi , 12 years of working with the Forest Service doing about 15 miles a day , 2 trips to Alaska for several long distance coast line /ridge line and volcano hikes plus just so many other hikes I can't even remember.

They must have had 25K-30K miles or more on them,,literally !!! They were worth every penny.

No wonder my knees are toast now !!!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

My new pair of Columbia Newton Ridge boots arrived. Were on sale and I used some frequent flyer points on Amazon. Wearing them now and fairly comfortable.

Name:	tnewton_ridge.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	112.4 KB 
ID:	39092

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Columbia's I've had pretty good luck with. Those look pretty comfy, are they Gore-tex lined?

Some brushed leather boots seem to get wet quite fast and stay that that way quite awhile from what I've found though. That's why if I have a pair like that I usually use a product called Snow Proof. It makes the leather look more like normal leather though,, but the suede look don't mean squat to me. It sure softens them up quickly too, and keeps them nice and dry, good stuff! When your out for two weeks at a stretch like I normally was,,that's a must, you can't just throw them on the boot dryer if they get soaked out there in the middle of nowhere.

Looks like you're squared away for boots for a while now mister.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.