6.5 Grendel bull barrel free float - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 6.5 Grendel bull barrel free float

Feedback Score

Ok so I made another change of plans. I'm using a gas tube, gas piston and modified rear sight block from a vepr supertype 2 vepr because it is circular and doesn't have a tang that protrudes towards the massive barrel.

I found a gas tube from a 7.62x54r vepr on ebay lastnight and ordered it. I'm hunting around on various forums trying to see if anyone has one of those rear sight blocks and a gas piston they'll part with. It seems everyone wanted to convert their type 2 vepr to have a standard rpk rear sight block and gas tube.

The gas piston is one long mother, but after looking at pics of it something tells me it's longer than a yugo and shorter than a PSL so worst case scenario If I cant find one I make a standoff of the right length to imitate it. That or chuck up some stainless in the lathe and make my own.

I played around in SolidEdge and came up with my gas block design. My University is about to have a pay to 3D print whatever you want service in the library. I'm not sure when but hopefully within the 3 months It takes to get my barrel and 80% receiver. I'll 3D print it before taking it to a machine shop so I can test/mock fit it.

bull barrel gas block picture.jpg

I decided to go with a split and bolt/clamp design so it can be easily installed and the barrel will not have to be turned to a smaller diameter at any point. I know it's just not very Kalishnikovy without pins, rivets or dimples but I think it's the best option for my build.

Feedback Score

Here's the gas tube I ordered. vepr type 2 gas tube.jpg

Here's the rear sight block I need. vepr 2 rear sight block.jpg

Here's the gas piston I need. vepr gas piston.PNG
    Last edited by автомат; 07-05-2016 at 07:15 AM. Reason: pictures were not viewable

Feedback Score

Final Revised Gas Block

AKM Gas Block Image.jpg

4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

xxx
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 1biggun; 08-06-2016 at 02:50 PM.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

xxx

Feedback Score

Thanks for the info 1biggun. After reviewing what you wrote I may have to take a few steps back. The type of gas tube I ordered is desined to keep constant spring pressure on the gas block I believe but the vepr supers do the same and are supposedly very accurate. I'll have to rethink how I'm going to free float I guess.

BTW how much does free floating really matter on a 1" bbl? Will free floating it be worth while?

Feedback Score

I'll try to fix those attachments tonight. I'll be out of the country for two weeks leaving tomorrow afternoon so I won't have much to post for a while.

in the blueridge mtns nutznboltz's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

One of the last couple threads has me contemplating a Tortort 80% lower.
    "I wish I had invented a lawn mower"
    Mikhail Kalashnikov in later years

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

xxx

Feedback Score

Lots of helpful info 1biggun. I appreciate it. So the savage barrel thread is a bastard 1.055" x 20 tpi and theres only one high speed steel tap available that's expensive and probably won't cut it. no pun intended. I'm thinking I get an adjustable 1" x 20 tpi die and use that to make the barrel threads 1" x 20 tpi and extend them, then use a carbide 1"x20 tpi tap to thread the receiver.

If I knew anything about heat treating I would anneal the receiver then re harden it after threading and machining, but that sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.