Bolt weight

Thread: Bolt weight

Feedback Score

Default Bolt weight

What would the ideal bolt weight for straight block back 45 be?
    Any way to get around bolt weight with a extremely stiff spring ?

I've read it should be around 2 pounds but I've seen some builds saying there where near 1 pound

in the blueridge mtns nutznboltz's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Sorry bud.What platform you asking about?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

.45acp = 2.3Lb

Blowback Gun Design

4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Thompson weighs in at 24 OZ.

Feedback Score

Default Bolt weight

Quote Originally Posted by dnepr0mike View Post
    .45acp = 2.3Lb

Blowback Gun Design
    I've seen that sight before.
    I'm trying to find the info but I swear the mac 10 was much lighter .

Gunco Good ole boy 2ndAmendican's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Warwickben View Post
    I've seen that sight before.
    I'm trying to find the info but I swear the mac 10 was much lighter .
    I couldn't find the MAC10 bolt weight, but an article mentioned that it's high cyclic rate was due to an extremely light bolt for a blowback design.

Heck, make it light, and if you need to increase the weight, drill pockets and put some tungsten in it.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmendican View Post
    I couldn't find the MAC10 bolt weight, but an article mentioned that it's high cyclic rate was due to an extremely light bolt for a blowback design.

Heck, make it light, and if you need to increase the weight, drill pockets and put some tungsten in it.
    I'm not sure my idea was going to work . I got a 45 bolt carrier for a ar15 that was chopped behind the firing pin. I was going to make it side charging and not use the buffer so I can use a folding stock. Mac 10 recoil spring in the area where the charging handle normally is.
    My idea to add weight was to open the gas tube hole in the upper upper yet and add a rod to the bolt to add weight like a ak piston . I'll have to see what will fit in the handguard. I have a bunch of broken carbide end mills so I was going to press them in the tube .

I might just use the bolt for my bullpup I've been working since I can add weight like that and not be limited by space .

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

WB,

bolt weight is important on blowback subguns... BUT the main things affecting the changing weight per caliber is type of actions, stroke of bolt, type of FCG it goes against, barrel length. the actual purpose of the spring should really only be to chamber the next round & as a slight recoil/damper... relying on the spring itself to do all of the work makes for a short lifespan on the spring & usually the build.

lots of open bolt 45's use bolts much lighter...

tommy's vary from 22 to 25 oz's in FA & you can make one run with 18oz of bolt in a semi auto hammer fire set up because the FCG set up gives extra resistance.

now in particular for the ar set up your talking about?

THIS is the nicest thing out there in off the shelf stuff.

AR-15 PISTOL BUFFER KIT "FIRST GENERATION". you can do a lot with this set up.
    Hate takes LESS energy & thought... Dont be so Lazy.

Building or Bitching? which are you here to do?

YES, i work for TEC Tactical. 02/07 SOT

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

According to the specs, a blowback HiPoint .45 weighs 35 ounces for the whole gun. So lighter than optimum can work.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by dutigaf View Post
    WB,

bolt weight is important on blowback subguns... BUT the main things affecting the changing weight per caliber is type of actions, stroke of bolt, type of FCG it goes against, barrel length. the actual purpose of the spring should really only be to chamber the next round & as a slight recoil/damper... relying on the spring itself to do all of the work makes for a short lifespan on the spring & usually the build.

lots of open bolt 45's use bolts much lighter...

tommy's vary from 22 to 25 oz's in FA & you can make one run with 18oz of bolt in a semi auto hammer fire set up because the FCG set up gives extra resistance.

now in particular for the ar set up your talking about?

THIS is the nicest thing out there in off the shelf stuff.

AR-15 PISTOL BUFFER KIT "FIRST GENERATION". you can do a lot with this set up.
    That kit looks pretty cool I'll just use this bolt on another build and finish my scratch built 45 bolt

Search tags for this page

45 acp bolt weight

mac 10 45 bolt weight
thompson bolt weight
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.