survival knives
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: survival knives

Feedback Score

Default survival knives

I pick up a survival knife in the late 70s that was called a m7s. it basicly a m7 bayonet modifies claw on the back and a flat and half a Phillips on the tang.
    nutznboltz likes this.

in the blueridge mtns nutznboltz's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Sounds good perry. The flat and phillips screw driver on the tang makes it even cooler. Same M7 handles?
    "I wish I had invented a lawn mower"
    Mikhail Kalashnikov in later years

Feedback Score

yes, serrated blade and the past the point is rough I guess you would call it.the scabbard has to pockets on it and I put a sharpener stone and a magnesium fire starter in it the bottom one I put a good cable saw with 20ft of fishing line and a few hooks. its nylon and has a removeable insert in it to keep the blade from cutting thru. none of you guy ever see one. I think its made by imperial co?

4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

The company is familiar for sure. Don't quote me but I think they may have merged with Ontario. If the blade can rust makes it a nice old school knife.
    Like my Ka Bar and Black Jack blades.
    I was talking mumblety peg just the other day. And stretch. How we have most of our fingers and toes is beyond me.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Imperial Knife Company bought and absorbed a bunch of knife companies over the years, including Schrade right after WWII. At one time they were the largest knife maker in the US. Schrade was a division of Imperial for many decades but eventually Imperial consolidated their various brands which is why they were called "Imperial Schrade" from the late 80s on. IIRC, the actual factory closed many years ago and the brand name was sold to a company that now has them made in China. The Schrade "Uncle Henry" line is named after one of the brothers that ran Imperial when they took over Schrade.

Dad had an Imperial Barlow knife, old thing was sharpened so many times the blades were a lot narrower than they should be. One scale had a piece broken off, but otherwise was intact. Probably dated back to the 50s.

There is a weird Imperial folder I've always wanted though, apparently the Curtis key company either had these made up as sales incentives or somehow partnered with imperial and made a "key knife". Just a simple two bladed pocket knife, but the second blade was a Curtis made key blank. All the ones I've seen were GM blanks, and the Curtis company info was printed on the scales. The idea was you cut the blank and you always had a spare key to your car as long as you had your pocket knife on you!

Found a pic of one:

http://www.antiquesnavigator.com/pd-...key-blank.html

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Remember the old hawkbill knives? Dad gave me his oak tree pocket knife.tree brand they called them. To be a kid with a paper route again...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Dunno about "hawkbill", but I've seen a few Case ones that looked like they may have had a Toucan inspired blade.

Another knife I've liked is the Opinel twist lock style. The wooden handled originals always seemed they would break easy so I grabbed one of the Cold Steel models back in the day. Too damn big for pocket carry though, should have grabbed the smaller one. But otherwise an excellent knife. Carbon V blade too, IIRC. Traded it off to a guy who used it at work cutting ceiling tile and such, he loved it but carried it in his tool belt. He's probably still using it!

Feedback Score

when I worked in the coal mines you just about had to have a hawkbill. good when you had to do a belt spice or trim something. went thru a bunch of them.
    nutznboltz likes this.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Also known as the carpet cutter. In the 60's it seemed like everybody had one. And taps on the heels to slide down the hallway.

Feedback Score

any of you guys ever buy one? a lot of people watched ole Rambo movies just had to have one. me, I bought the m7s along time before Rambo came out. the old air force survival knife made me think about it. when I was in service I always had a good hunting blade on my lbe.
    nutznboltz likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.