Gas Piston Conversion or Integral?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By dnepr0mike
  • 1 Post By dnepr0mike

Thread: Gas Piston Conversion or Integral?

Feedback Score

Default Gas Piston Conversion or Integral?

So I'm doing a lot of research in preparation for my first ar build. I really want to go Gas Piston, however, I've read in some other forums that people who have DI rifles and convert actually can have a less reliable/problematic rifle because it wasn't designed that way?. however a gas piston rifle built specifically as a gas piston rifle is just fine. So really my question is... is there two different types of Gas piston systems for ar 15 being made? because I see mostly clamp on conversions being sold but then I see systems marketed as just gas piston system. I'm sure this is real simple but its hard for me to wrap my head around...

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

if you buy ruger sr-556 you will get your piston wish.

as far as retrofits go well designed system shouldn't care if your receiver/barrel DI or not. just couple of those out there - adams and superlative. both seems to get decent reviews.
    gas piston systems have one requirement - tightly fitted/enlarged tail section of the carrier to prevent tilt and digging/rubbing of the carrier into the buffer tube. no special voodoo here.
    Rwsiegel1 likes this.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by dnepr0mike View Post
    if you buy ruger sr-556 you will get your piston wish.

as far as retrofits go well designed system shouldn't care if your receiver/barrel DI or not. just couple of those out there - adams and superlative. both seems to get decent reviews.
    gas piston systems have one requirement - tightly fitted/enlarged tail section of the carrier to prevent tilt and digging/rubbing of the carrier into the buffer tube. no special voodoo here.
    Thanks for the knowledge! If i had my choice I would go with the lwrc ic carbine. however in this financial stage of my life I cant rationalize spending 2400 on anything. lol. even 1500 is steep. I feel like i could get a basic mil-spec gas piston set up built for 1k give or take a little IF I play my cards right and research and price shop like a mad man. but thats my goal. a great plus would be to cut weigh to have a "lightweight" gas piston. im a dreamer. lol

4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

gees man. you can get a PSA, Anderson or Bear kreek AR for like $500 or under. then through piston kit on top and you will have a piston gun for well under $1k.

LWRCs are nice though. want one myself but if i'm gonna drop big coin i will go with ACR. you can get one for $1500 or even less for a used one. yes they are trade offs but also price difference is a great argument.

out of curiosity, why do you want piston on your AR? suppressor use or just for tidiness sake?

Feedback Score

gees man. you can get a PSA, Anderson or Bear kreek AR for like $500 or under. then through piston kit on top and you will have a piston gun for well under $1k.

LWRCs are nice though. want one myself but if i'm gonna drop big coin i will go with ACR. you can get one for $1500 or even less for a used one. yes they are trade offs but also price difference is a great argument.

out of curiosity, why do you want piston on your AR? suppressor use or just for tidiness sake?
    both. its primary designation is a "crap hits the fan" rifle and in my mind the cleaner the better especially since in that situation I will have a suppressor for applications where necessary. it will be shot suppressed while training with it for those specific scenarios. in the mean time (hopefully it never hits the fan) its just going to be a home defense/coyote rifle (short/medium range).

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

what barrel profile are you thinking for this build?

Feedback Score

what barrel profile are you thinking for this build?
    preferably an m4 or government. not sure though. what would you reccomend? 16 inches w 1:7 twist is a definite though.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

16 inch 1/7 twist is a solid choice. Dont discount 1/8 however. it'll shoot heavies just as well as 1/7 but will do better with lighter bullets which you will shoot 98% of the time.
    i would not go with m4 or gov profile because it doesn't bring anything to the table nesides extra weight where it's not needed. also it's a carbine length gas system which is too over-gassed, especially so if you are running suppressed.
    I would suggest mid-length gas system. pick piston kit with that thought in mind.
    if building from scratch (i.e not re-building standard DI upper) i would suggest to go with a barrel that isn't too heavy nor too light. something in-between. this Stoner looks just about perfect to me: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/46...-moly-melonite
    also it's a CMV steel not stainless. you want CMV for durability and longevity especially if you going to put volume of rounds at any given time (think training). Melonite finish is an added bonus and price ain't bad either. i'm tempted to grab one myself.
    Rwsiegel1 likes this.

Feedback Score

16 inch 1/7 twist is a solid choice. Dont discount 1/8 however. it'll shoot heavies just as well as 1/7 but will do better with lighter bullets which you will shoot 98% of the time.
    i would not go with m4 or gov profile because it doesn't bring anything to the table nesides extra weight where it's not needed. also it's a carbine length gas system which is too over-gassed, especially so if you are running suppressed.
    I would suggest mid-length gas system. pick piston kit with that thought in mind.
    if building from scratch (i.e not re-building standard DI upper) i would suggest to go with a barrel that isn't too heavy nor too light. something in-between. this Stoner looks just about perfect to me: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/46...-moly-melonite
    also it's a CMV steel not stainless. you want CMV for durability and longevity especially if you going to put volume of rounds at any given time (think training). Melonite finish is an added bonus and price ain't bad either. i'm tempted to grab one myself.
    appreciate you very much. might keep in touch through this. lol. will be awhile before I start. probably tax season

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.