Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By moleman
  • 1 Post By moleman

Thread: 375-6.8 FUW

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default 375-6.8 FUW

Usually make a post deer season project. For the 2018-2019 deer season it turned out to be a .375" straight walled upper for an AR15. I hunt in the "limited zone" in Michigan which limits you to straight walled cartridges with a case shorter than 1.8", so no bottle necks. Sarco had cheap barrel blanks on sale and Starline makes a 6.8SPC basic case that just needs rough cut to length, resized and a final trim/debur. You can also make cases from 6.8spc brass and the first 50 or so were made from once fired Remingtons. Figured out a cartridge and chamber spec, then made a chamber reamer from O1 drill rod.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by moleman; 08-24-2020 at 10:30 PM.
    Tommo likes this.
    350 Legend, imitation is the highest form of flattery. Aww, Thanks Winchester!

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

A 38-55 Winchester die set wil almost size the cases correctly and likely will if you were to shorten the die slightly so the 1.650" long cases reach further up inside. Since I hunt with a suppressor the longer barrel was going to get cut down to 16"-18" so a section of the muzzle was used to make a reloading die. Straightwalled dies are easy to make, figure out the minimum dia and ream the die for it, then add the taper from behind the neck area to the base. The sizing die was then parted off the rest of the barrel, polished and the barrel was given the final profile. There are several bullets that are designed to work within the velocity range and will feed out of a 357AR or 350 legend mag. The Sierra 200gr SPFN (2250fps) feeds well as does the 235gr SP speer (1980fps), and an all copper 175gr Makers T-Rex (2350fps). I also Tried some Vollmer bullets 200-235gr range with similar results. I hunted with the 175gr makers the last few days of doe season last year, but only ever had little ones come by. When fired into water at 2350fps the bullet opened up to about 1.2" at it's widest point (right). They'll reportedly open up down to 1400fps which I haven't tested to. Trying to find distance performance one was shot at a 1738fps muzzle velocity. It opened up to 1.015" (left) across which if it were launched at 2350fps would work out to 270 yards.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tommo likes this.
    350 Legend, imitation is the highest form of flattery. Aww, Thanks Winchester!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

A truly amazing build!

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.