400FUW
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: 400FUW

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default 400FUW

Usually try to do a gun project after every deer season and this past year it was another ar15 upper that would be legal to hunt with in the Limited Zone in Southern Michigan that restricts you to straight walled cartridges with a case 1.16"-1.8" and at least .35". Used a Green Mountain 40 blank, 800 series high pressure round lugged bolt/extension for .473" case head. Buddy on another site was interested and offered to order a chamber reamer since I was rebuilding the gear box and apron on my lathe. Center gear with the bronze bushing in it shows how worn some of the gears were, v/s the new ones on either side of it. About the time I'd made all the gears and tracked down the correct bearings the chamber reamer was done. Went with a 16.5" barrel since I'll likely be hunting with a suppressor and long barrels and a suppressor suck in a treestand. Was unable to find a 11/16-24 silencerco muzzlebrake anywhere. So after a month on back order I just made one out of a piece of barrel scrap. A few months later the back ordered one did finally show up so I've got one ready for the next barrel.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tommo likes this.
    350 Legend, imitation is the highest form of flattery. Aww, Thanks Winchester!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Shot it unparkerized for a few months before taking it apart and finishing it. Made a sizer die to size the expanded and cut off 30-06 cases. The main bullets I've been shooting out of it have been .400" 200gr XTP's, barnes 195gr MZ, Hornady 200gr SST, the last two being muzzleloader bullets of the correct dia and designed for the correct speed range of 2300-2600 fps muzzle velocity depending on action and barrel length. This first barrel was for an ar15, and I am limiting the chamber pressure to 55Kpsi even though the bolt/extension is rated to 65Kpsi. Currently I'm turning a bolt action barrel for my buddy and up next a LR308 barrel for me. Since the case has a gentle taper, if you remove the decapping stem and raise the die up it will function as a taper crimp die. I believe I'll be hunting with the Barnes 195gr bullets this year in this upper even though a solid copper bullet is long for it's weight resulting in slower velocity from reduced case volume. When shot into the water at a mild 47,506 PSI load the magnetospeed recorded a speed of 2391 FPS.
    Last edited by moleman; 08-30-2020 at 09:51 PM.
    Akfite and Tommo like this.

3/297th Inf Retired AARNG Akfite's Avatar
    Feedback Score

impressive for sure great job
    Tommo likes this.
    Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have. The course of history shows that as a government grows, LIBERTY DECREASES."

Thomas Jefferson

4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Thanks, Usually try to do a late winter project to pass the time. Usually will deer Hunt with them, then put them in the rotation.

Some of the loaded rounds, 195 Barnes (the pointer ones) and 200gr XTP's
    Tommo likes this.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Moleman you are a genius!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Glad you like it Tommo, forgot to add a pic of one of the 195 barnes shot into water at 1770 fps which would be somewhere around 180yds for a max load in the 16" barrel going off of chrony readings, or 210yds for the 22" barrel if QuickLoad is close. 22" Ruger barrel almost done, just needs the area in front of the muzzle threads removed, crowned and parkerized.
    Tommo likes this.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

That should make a great hunting rifle.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Thanks Tommo, getting excited for deer hunting. My buddy shot the 22" barrel the other day on a Ruger 77 and now it's got me leaning back towards making my 2nd barrel for the AR10 so I'm not limited by the magazine length. They aren't as light and handy as a ar15 though is the only drawback. Using H110 (same as W296 now) he was getting a chrony average of 2761 for a 200gr XTP in his longer barrel. That load if set 1.25" high at 110yds will only be 2.25" low at 200yds where it will still be going 1920fps and have 1640 ftlbs. Not too shabby. After shooting them all summer my FC cases were looking pretty shabby so I got some new Starline 30-06 brass to form new 400FUW cases. Starlines have slightly less capacity so I'm working back up the loads for the 200gr XTP and 195 Barnes. Almost done with 1680, will redo W296 and add in 2400 for giggles.
    Tommo likes this.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

wont be long you will do a version of a .500 in a straight wall. maximum carnage!
    Tommo likes this.
    Hate takes LESS energy & thought... Dont be so Lazy.

Building or Bitching? which are you here to do?

YES, i work for TEC Tactical. 02/07 SOT

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

How long should I wait for Winchester to copy this one?
    moleman and Tommo like this.
    Whatever site I read it on as a members tag line, it's the truest statement ever made.
    "Our forefathers would have been shooting by now"
    member # 575

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.