Introducing: The New Defens Rivet Jig - Page 2
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing: The New Defens Rivet Jig

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

Nice looking set of tools!! they look really easy to set up and use.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Hey guy,
    Got your mailing addy-Will send out a PMO Sat.
    thanks German

Feedback Score

Default i'll take one

if they are still available. please let me know. sending PM now.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Default Production Update for guys who preordered

I made a lot of progress these last few days. Got all the pieces cut, marked, drilled, milled, etc. to make the base units, and today I welded them together and painted them.

Tomorrow I'll get the clamping units done, and all that will remain is to start making the press arms. I need to pick up some more steel for these, but I have enough to get me started tomorrow. I will most likely start shipping on Tuesday or Wednesday to the first guys on the preorder list, a couple days earlier than I'd anticipated. They will all be shipped before the end of the week, assuming that the flat stock I need is availabe (it should be, it's a normal size.)

I've started the list of interested folks for Batch #2 - will start taking orders when the current batch is done and shipped.

DeFens

peoples democratic republic of kaliforiastan
    Feedback Score

will it also do the dimpling for the swell necked rivets?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I did build an attachment to do that on my prototype and used it successfully - to be honest, I'm not sure that a separate dimpling operation is all that necessary - the rivets squash in there pretty well without it. However, it would be pretty easy to include a tool - basically a ball bearing that sits in the recess in the bucking bar, then you'd squash the trunnion and receiver into it. If I can find some ball bearings of the right size before I start shipping, I'll toss some in.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Got my Jig and Built a Romy over the weekend...My first build on my tools with nobody looking over my shoulders and answering questions.

Everything worked great. There are some things that will be better the second time around. The jig works like a champ. I used ak-builder rivets and they have a bit deeper profile. They all came out looking pretty good. The swell necks seat well, but it would be nice to dimple the receiver first. I will likely grind a punch to do this.

Any questions that you have, let me know.
    "No honey, that old thing, I've had that for years"
    Kalashnikov Georgia Builders
    member # 047

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Thanks for the nice review, Rob! After your initial feedback, I've already started to machine the recess in the bucking bar just a hair deeper to accept the taller rivet heads.

As you mention, the easiest way to dimple the receiver for swell necks would be with a tapered punch, using the rear rivet guide to hold everything together. I will likely include that in future batchs and offer a free upgrade to those who already bought a jig from me.

The second half of Batch #1 will be mailing out Tuesday or Wednesday - I just have a couple of steps left to do to finish them up.

Thanks again!

DeFens

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Is it possible for us to harden the mild steel pieces ourselves? What is the method suggested?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

At this point, I don't see any need to harden it. Unless you screw up, you wont be able to bend anything. He used mild tool steel, but AK rivits are soft as can be compared to it. The only way I could see you hurt anything is if you went way overboard squeezing. Even on a 12 ton press, you can feel the rivit squeezing and know when to stop.
    "No honey, that old thing, I've had that for years"
    Kalashnikov Georgia Builders
    member # 047

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

ak rivet jig

jig rivet slide

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.