Introducing: The New Defens Rivet Jig - Page 3
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing: The New Defens Rivet Jig

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

That was my view during the design as well; I just didn't see the need for the extra expense of tool steel for the arms. They are pretty short, and unless you get carried away with the press, I made them beefy enough that you won't be able to bend them. Two of the three arms have a hardened drill rod insert; this is the part that contacts the rivet and it is unlikely to mushroom out unless you plan to make dozens of rifles.

I did look at tool steel parts, but the steel price would drive the price of the jig up another $30-50, not including heat treatment, and it would add quite a bit to production time since I can't do the treatment myself.

Quote Originally Posted by robpiat
    At this point, I don't see any need to harden it. Unless you screw up, you wont be able to bend anything. He used mild tool steel, but AK rivits are soft as can be compared to it. The only way I could see you hurt anything is if you went way overboard squeezing. Even on a 12 ton press, you can feel the rivit squeezing and know when to stop.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Nice looking Jig. I think you have a pretty good idea there. Is there any chance of you putting the dimensions in the Gunco library so some of the members can make thier own??

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

VERY NICE-GOT MINE TODAY.
    I havnt done a build yet with it but played around with it it looks like it lines up fine.
    By the way does one of the arms reach the underfolder rear trunion rivets{Sorry Im slow]You might have mentioned this already.
    Thanks german

4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Hi German,

Arm #2 should reach back to squash those underfolder rear rivets. If you have difficulties with that, let me know - I can send you a blank rivet arm that should also work nicely.

In the next batch I'm doing a big of a design update, and I'll either include another arm for the underfolder rivets or I'll tinker around to make sure that one of the existing arms does an A+ job of setting those.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by german
    VERY NICE-GOT MINE TODAY.
    I havnt done a build yet with it but played around with it it looks like it lines up fine.
    By the way does one of the arms reach the underfolder rear trunion rivets{Sorry Im slow]You might have mentioned this already.
    Thanks german

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Hey mike,
    that works for me, If you do come up a arm that will reach better,Put me on the list. I will get funds out asap.3-4 underfolders to build looking for the best way to reach back.
    Thanks again
    German

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Defens,

I like the question that 555th asked and I'll go one better consider selling plans for those of us who live on a budget with more time than money? I know you have put lots of time into R & D to get things right and I think that you should be paid well for your efforts. I think that offering plans would be another option to consider.......

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I'll consider sharing the plans, either selling sets or just posting the dimensions - perhaps both. I'll have to get caught up in building the next batch of jigs, before I can draft much of anything up though.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by DeFens
    I'll consider sharing the plans, either selling sets or just posting the dimensions - perhaps both. I'll have to get caught up in building the next batch of jigs, before I can draft much of anything up though.
    I didn't mean to make that post to try and hurt your sales at all. I really think you have solid design there and that it would be an excellent addition to the Gunco Library.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 555th
    I didn't mean to make that post to try and hurt your sales at all. I really think you have solid design there and that it would be an excellent addition to the Gunco Library.
    Yeah, what he said. I don't think it will hurt your sales at all. People with the knack for this kind of thing will try to build one anyway. Those that can't or don't want to (like me) would much rather buy one from you.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Not a problem, guys. I've learned enough from this community, I have no qualms about giving back to it. It's just a matter of drawing up some plans for y'all. I'm much better at hacking metal than I am at dimensioning drawings!

Quote Originally Posted by ohmysac
    Yeah, what he said. I don't think it will hurt your sales at all. People with the knack for this kind of thing will try to build one anyway. Those that can't or don't want to (like me) would much rather buy one from you.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

ak rivet jig

jig rivet slide

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.