Newest AR 15 project.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newest AR 15 project.

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)

Default Newest AR 15 project.

I got a lot of parts recently thanks to J427X for pointing out all the good deals. I've built several AR15's over the years all had a completed upper assemblies. This will be my first scratch build with all parts....Should be fun.

IMG_0898.jpg

"Courage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway." - The Duke

3/297th Inf Retired AARNG Akfite's Avatar
    Feedback Score

That's awesome I want to build another one. I really like putting them together just wish the prices where back down to pre-Obama levels
    Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have. The course of history shows that as a government grows, LIBERTY DECREASES."

Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

yeppers-- rolling you own is the fun part!

tell us how she shoots when you get it running!

4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

You know one little trick I learned from an old armorer bud,,

to push in those pointy top small little pins in, use a piece of small tubing with an ID that fits snug and completely over the pointy part,, add a short piece of dowel rod as a "handle" with a hole just big enough to press the tubing into and it makes a dandy tool to push in those itty bitty pins home past the detents.

WAY less of them go flying across the room that way ,,and how many of you have had those pins disappear,,,,a hundred times maybe??? I found some stainless tubing at the marina from part of a old shift cable that worked perfect, other material will work like brass, and possibly copper. Just be sure to make them fairly short on those softer ones so they don't bend, I think I found about an inch or so sticking out of the handle worked pretty good. The shorter they are the better control you'll have over the angle of the pin if it's not perfectly aligned with the hole. They ain't all bad at pushing springs and detent balls in either. I've also used them on auto pistols too,, it's kinda handy for many different things actually, not just AR's.

Abra Cabrera ,,,,,just another trick,,,from the old timers

I thought it was pretty neat myself, but can't take credit for it. BTW the small brass and copper tubing I found was from a hobby supply store, no clue where else you might find it that small.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

All you need is an upper receiver block and a barrel wrench and you are on your way. It's about time you busted you upper building cherry, I thought you had long ago. Any guy who's finishing off 80%ers, should certainly be building his own uppers.

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)

Ya Ya Ya.....LOL. I have the barrel wrench but not the upper receiver block. Anything can but used instead of purchasing one or would it be dangerous to try. Also I hear I need to do timing on the barrel...what the hell does that mean??the lower is already together as that's my "80%" proficiency...LOL

"Courage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway." - The Duke

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

so if the lower is a ffl item, not a 80%
    then it is ar kit assembly

fun n easy plenty of you tube videos to assist
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

timing the barrel to the teeth in the barrel nut so the gas tube can go through it "square" and meet the gas key on the BCG is what their talking about i think.

when you tighten the barrel nut down it needs to line up the nuts teeth to clear the gas tube -- a "loose" barrel nut makes accuracy problems and overly tight one can get the teeth out of line--

now i like to have a upper vice block of some sort to tighten up a barrel assembly -- they ain't expensive and even the $20 ones seem to work fine.

since a forged lower that is 100% finished are going for $49.99 --it is kind of tough to sell me on a 80% for a lot more $$$ , many like the 80s for that "life experience" as the hippies and trendites call it. LOL!

hell i might try a ar-10 80% just to see what can be done with the bigger ar platform on the lower--

Quote Originally Posted by Gunco View Post
    Ya Ya Ya.....LOL. I have the barrel wrench but not the upper receiver block. Anything can but used instead of purchasing one or would it be dangerous to try. Also I hear I need to do timing on the barrel...what the hell does that mean??the lower is already together as that's my "80%" proficiency...LOL

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

building a 80% has to do with talent and the feeling of accomplishing something you made, its a personnel decision, I could go on and on but its not worth it

hippies??????????trendies??????????????

talented, self sufficent is more like it, anyone can assemble a AR platform or AK or falfn with a ffl reciever
    Last edited by Sprat; 01-05-2014 at 03:27 PM.
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Trickiest part for me was the GAS TUBE and securing the barrel right.
    M U S I B I K E

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.