1:8 AR barrels which bullet weight performs the best?

Thread: 1:8 AR barrels which bullet weight performs the best?

Feedback Score

Default 1:8 AR barrels which bullet weight performs the best?

I see a lot of the new AR barrels are 1:9 and I guess that's for the heavier bullets, but where does the
    1:8 barrels fall as far as bullet weights? just wondering what bullets to use to reload, thanks

Feedback Score

75 gr Hornady Amax and probably up to 80 hpbt match bullets too.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

How to Pair Barrel Twist Rates with Bullets | Guns & Ammo

This is a real good artical that covers even the rarer barrel twist rates you'll find out there.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I like the 1:8 twist, and that's what is on the majority of my 223's. But my Bushmaster came with a 1:9 and shoots anything I have put in it very well. My Galil is 1:12 so I like to stick with 55 gr, altho I haven't tried heavier bullets in it to see how it would handle them.
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

1-9 up for up to some 75's an 1-8 or faster for heavier stuff.

My 1-9 is really good with 50" -69's shoots lighter stuff well also

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I use mostly 55- 69 grain projectiles, but generally mostly 62gr soft points through my 1-9 twist barrels in both my Sig M400 and Bushmaster XM15-ES2 and have no accuracy issues with either. I can't say I've seen much difference in those ranges of bullet weights. They all seem to shoot equally well through both my 1-9's

I've never tried lighter than 55's or heaver than 69's though. So those I can't address. I'd like to try a 1-8 in a 20" bull barrel someday for some 75's though, but I can't imagine getting much better accuracy than the<1moa which is pretty common with my mid weight barrel Bushmaster. The m400 isn't quite as good but ,a bit >1-1 1/2 moa is pretty normal for that one with the standard M4 profile barrel and off a rest. Acceptable enough accuracy for that stock gun with the 3x Sig scope it came with and I wouldn't expect much more from it.

I don't think my old eyes are going to let me do much better any more,, no matter what twist I try!!
    I don't think all the fancy equipment in the world will make much a difference for me anyways! But I can still pop a squirrel in the eye at 60-75 yards though, so I'll settle for that,,,,and I don't generally miss any critters I go after with what I've already got. So life is good.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.