Bolt Getting Stuck Forward On A Full Chamber (Headspacing Issue?)

Thread: Bolt Getting Stuck Forward On A Full Chamber (Headspacing Issue?)

Feedback Score

Default Bolt Getting Stuck Forward On A Full Chamber (Headspacing Issue?)

So, I've tried my hand at a 7.62x39 ar. So far I've spent around a full WASR-10 amount of money buying around 5-6 7.62x39 bolts. All of them were flawed.

Recently I bought a Liberty Gun Works bolt and it was sub par. This brought me to buy the LMT enhanced 7.62x39 bolt, which I felt would be the answer to my prayers.

I did some function testing with the bolt, using some spent cases. I can't just let the charging handle go gently to chamber a spent case, I need to fully release the bolt from the locked position and even then it will still get held up about 1/8" from being closed half the time, and the other half it is so tight that I have the mortar the rifle to get the spent case out.

Is this a head spacing issue or what? I've had this happen a few times with a few different setups however the only way I alleviated the issue was to get another BCG.

That'd be fine if this was 5.56, but since this is 7.62x39 and I've already tried almost every bolt out there to no avail I'm a little F'd in the A.

Can this bolt be salvaged in some way? IE: can I send it to a gun smith to take a thousandth off the bolt face or something?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Have you tried different types of ammo?

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Did you resize the spent cases? Otherwise most of my ar15's would likely jam like that depending on how hot the load of the fired round and/or if was even fired from the same gun. Have you checked the headspace with a gauge set?

4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Have you tried different types of ammo?
    I bought a bunch of 7.62x39 Bulgarian brass cased ammo for the range that's pretty much all I use so I didn't have anything else to function check with.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by moleman View Post
    Did you resize the spent cases? Otherwise most of my ar15's would likely jam like that depending on how hot the load of the fired round and/or if was even fired from the same gun. Have you checked the headspace with a gauge set?
    No I didn't resize the spent cases, but you're giving me hope that this thing might still work with fresh ammo. Either that or I'm going to have a shitty time at the range mortaring my rifle every couple shots.

I haven't checked the headspace, at this point maybe I should invest in a gauge, or just put the money towards an AK.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I had the same prob with maybe 2-3 223 rifles I put together with 223 wylde chambers, but only with my reloads. They would work in all other 223-5.56 guns I had. I ended up using my 223 reamer to barely cut the chambers a tiny bit deeper(non-chrome bores). Now they work great and headspace correctly. I think they were chambered just a bit shallow.
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by moleman View Post
    You were right. The spent cases were from a different bolt which even the manufacturer said had a loose tolerance for head space. So I'm guessing the spent cases were too long for my LMT bolt to close on.

I found this out when my LMT bolt performed flawlessly at the range today.

Feedback Score

never mind, did not read the last part about figuring this out...

Search tags for this page

lmt bolt jammed

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.