The 50 Yard Zero for 5.56mm. Anyone try this? Is it better than the 100 site in????

Thread: The 50 Yard Zero for 5.56mm. Anyone try this? Is it better than the 100 site in????

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Default The 50 Yard Zero for 5.56mm. Anyone try this? Is it better than the 100 site in????

"The 50 Yard Zero for 5.56mm"

"I get asked “How should I zero my rifle?” quite frequently. Being the nice guy that I am, I’ll share my secret with you guys on the most effective way to zero your 5.56mm/.223 rifle with either iron sights or a red dot sight (RDS). Please keep in mind this method is for iron sights and red dot sights only, it does not apply to rifles equipped with magnified optics, especially those that feature bullet drop compensators. For such optics you should zero the sights according to manufacturer recommendations." - See more at: The 50 Yard Zero for 5.56mm | The Bang Switch
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

i'll give this a read....

50yds is a lot easier to do at home than 100yds.

thanks Tim!
    Hate takes LESS energy & thought... Dont be so Lazy.

Building or Bitching? which are you here to do?

YES, i work for TEC Tactical. 02/07 SOT

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Its not any differant than setting it about 1.5 high at 100 yards most deer hunters do.

IMO better to do the shooting at 100 yards an being certain you know the point of impact. At 50 yards being happy with being slightly off will be bad at 200 yards.
    You can be inches off at 50YDS an hit a human but you will be a mile off at 200.
    Id rather be perfect at 100 (or 1.5" high if you wish) an be certain of my rifles zero.

Great advice to start with a zero at 50 I start there with most guns.
    I use a dead hold as well.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

1.5 high @ 100m is ultimately where my guns end up too after my initial sight in. Most start out @ about 1-2 low at 50 and are pretty close to that 1.5 high @ the 100m mark,,with most calibers anyhow.

It's funny just how deceiving how ranges are when your in the woods and even after all these years of hunting I still find my ranging guess is usually off when I pace it off.

That's why 99% of the time when I practice I don't do it at a range. My friends and I usually set up targets at different ranges inside a wood line. Clays are our go-to mostly and we attach them to a branch where there may be a bit of movement from a breeze. For me that works quite well to get me sharp for hunting, that and hunting red squirrels with what ever rifle I'm using for deer hunting. Over kill,,,Oh Hell Ya,, but it gets you used to using what ever gun your going to hunt with on something that moves. A 06 or 308 definitely does a nasty job on a red,,but you know damn well you'll get a clean shot on your deer ,if you can drop a red at 100m. Great practice!

And when you think about it,,hunting season is just around the corner,,,

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

50yds sighting in would be much easier to accommodate for non farm living, if this works the same.

here in buckeye land where we have to use shotguns for deer or large bore pistols.... 100yds is about the cap for clean killing anyway. i dont like runners, want them to drop. so it takes teh better shot anyway

but when i go over to west virginia to hunt on our family farm? THEN we can get a good clean shot with HP rifles at distance. gonna try this out & set up a rifle this way here at the house then take it over there & compare to the usual way.
    Hate takes LESS energy & thought... Dont be so Lazy.

Building or Bitching? which are you here to do?

YES, i work for TEC Tactical. 02/07 SOT

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I have used the same 30-06 for 40 years sighted 1" high at 100 yards in over 8 states on ever type of deer in the continental US with ranges from 5 feet to 500 yards . the fact there is only 100yards or less to shoot really makes no difference . knowing were your rifle will hit is what matters .

sight it in at 100 yards then shoot it at 50 an 200 an so on . know what it will do an remember it.

A 50 yard zero on a open sight 223 is no big deal but one would be better to practice at 100 yards IMO . I shoot my Bow an 22 lr at 50 yards not a high power rifles much .

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

It's funny just how deceiving how ranges are when your in the woods and even after all these years of hunting I still find my ranging guess is usually off when I pace it off.
    Most guys cant tell 100 yards from 150 .
    we play guess the range when varmint hunting in South Dakota . Most guys think 300 yards is 500 an will brag up a shot until the range finder comes out . at 500 an beyond things get super hard . many 200 yard shots guys think its 300 or more .

We shot a few P dogs with 22 lrs at over 300 messing around an thought we had done great an found that it was 325 Yards in reality . that explained the 5 yards back making a one foot or more difference in drop LOL

I sight shot guns in at 100 yards as well scoped with rifled barrels .

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I've been doing it the way shown in the article for years just for the sake of convieniance. But like biggun said I always check it at 100 and make any needed fine adjustments.
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I usually try for "minute of coke bottle" at 100 for open sights.
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Yea im slipping with open sites a coke bottle would be Ok at 100.

I always figure a accurate gun zeroed gives me a bigger cushion to screw up.

I know my 30-06 an know it holds 1" an that a neck shot it doable at 100 yards if needed.
    Having that confidence really helps knowing the rifle will perform . Knowing you got a few inches eithet way range wise because it groups tight really helps when shooting fast.
    At 1.5" high aim at the middle an squease if its 250 or less.

Every one should shoot 223's at all ranges. too many guys hold too high 300 yards.
    I still do this myself a few times every year with my 22 250 it's a little flatter shooting

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.