want to make an "H" buffer.. - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: want to make an "H" buffer..

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Yup dew,,,just like that one Bud,,,thanks I'd never seen them before. 3 will be on order right off and if the sticky isn't good, I'll do my screw idea but didn't see anything in the reviews to infer the glue didn't hold up. I wish I'd seen those before I did up the order for the Bushmaster lower I've got coming from them though, I could have slid it in with that order.

Thanks for the link ,,,,

in the blueridge mtns nutznboltz's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Just cruising the web and tungsten weights for pine box derby are out there? I'm sticking with what I want to do tho. But, wow.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I know stalker, I saw them when I was Christmas shopping a couple days ago and they were crazy expensive, no wonder tungsten jigs are 4 bucks plus each. Damn that shit is expensive!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Tungsten powder will compress 25-50% according to what I've dug up so far. Dew,i'm off to the shop!!

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by stalker1 View Post
    Yes,yes,and yes bellson. SAR had a great write up umpteen years ago dealing with Stoners design and barrel length vs.gas tube transferring energy to the key on the carrier. My wife asked me what I was thinking about and ten minutes in she just told me to shut up! Hard to find people that actually get any of this. Off topic, but how is the son doing with the welding course? Think about you guys time to time. Feel free to PM or maybe you still have the email address.
    Hey Buddy!

The Boy is doing fine in Welding Class, thanks for asking!... As much as it pains me to admit, he makes nicer beads than I ever did. It appears that he will pull a good solid A- out of the program at the end of the semester...And a recommendation for an internship (paid!!!) for 10 hours a week. He is thrilled! And, I am really proud of him. The little shit!!!! How dare he make better beads than ME!!!!!

Back to hot air as it relates to Mr. Stoner's design...

There are, in my opinion; two schools' of thought regarding a gas operated firearm.....

School of thought Number 1: Lots of gas, because it works no matter what.

This is the Kalashnikov School of thought, and it fits into the "Looser is Better" school of thought. There is nothing wrong with this school of thought. It works, and it works well just about anywhere on the face of out planet, and it does not care about the education or discipline of the user. Pull Trigger, goes bang. All good. Also has the benefit of being very quickly and inexpensively produced.

School of thought Number 2: Have an adjustable system, that allows the educated user to set the weapon to utilize the correct amount of gas to cycle the weapon without bleeding off hundreds of feet per second of velocity.... The M-16 is not adjustable. Just sayin. But it does use a significantly lower volume of gas to do it's job. The original M-16 was a very accurate weapon, and turned in devastating results. Then the Army got involved. Enough said.

The M-16 / M-4 Weapons System of today is a really finely tuned machine. The M-4, with Iron Sights is good out to 300 yards (Meters) with no real issues. I just did that on a Navy Range with a 10 year old weapon that had seen some use. Certainly not my best group, but what anybody would call (Lethal) right on target....So, an M-4 uses a 14.5 inch barrel. Go to a 20" barrel in 1/7 or 1/8 or 1/9, and you can get out to 600 yards (Meters). That is all good and fine, but at that distance, the projectile is not doing much more than chipping the paint. Not that I would want to be the target mind you....But there is just not that much energy beyond 300-400 yards (Meters). In ballistic terms, yards and Meters are the same.

End of the story: An AR Platform allows you to change stuff out, and get to a very balanced system, and if done correctly, it translates out to accuracy and lethality. While these lessons can be practiced and fine tuned on a 5.56mm platform, they really come into their own on a 7.62 NATO based platform.

Go to a 6.5 Creedmore Platform which is no different from a 7.62 NATO platform except for the Barrel and you can go to 1200 yards (Meters)...Yes, I know that a Meter is about 3" longer than a yard, so 1200 Yards would equal less than 1200 Meters. I get it....Deal with my incorrect interchangeable terms.....

And do not forget....Barrel Length is just as important, along with twist rate...But subject to the projectile weight...

Just my $0.02....
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

I only have 8 of the lightweight CAR15 buffers laying around but sure, why not spend $30+$10 shipping instead of cracking these open and putting them to good use, lol

No, I get ya and the reason I have all of those old stock buffers laying around is because I did go out and buy H2 buffers when I would get cases thrown too far forward but I'm thinking the ingenuous fellows in the Gunco community could help me turn all of this gun room litter I'm too cheap to throw away into $300 worth of H2/H3 buffers that I could pass around to all of my AR15 owning friends with their terribly overgassed stock carbines and AR pistols

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I built one from a video on youtube. I cant find it now but It showed how to pop the pin out and replace the weights with "bullet" lead sinkers crushed to the right diameter in a vise I was able to go above the H weight for a 9mm build and it still works well and has more than enough weight.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Bellson I remember the original twist having to be changed Since it was'nt as accurate in Alaska when the usage was S.E.Asia.???!!!! Take something that works and "fix it".

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.