30 carbine AR - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 30 carbine AR

Feedback Score

So what is the cost for a upper and mag adapter??

I'd be interested in a set up if it was a good price.. I'd want to build a ultra ultra light rifle like the original 30-M1 carbine.. very girl friendly so it would have to be a 16" light contour barrel and every other part used ultra light weight.. was it still gas operated or it it blowback.. ??

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

B2B,

adapters are $150
    mags $25 (him modding & testing)
    barrel is $225 any length

thats the only real prices he has set..

all in all? ive got less than $600 in this.

some people will big eye that number...

but this IS a gas operated upper... NOT blowback.

45acp uppers are over $1K
    TOK uppers are right at $1K
    9mm uppers at about $650

so this is actually a decently priced custom upper.
    Hate takes LESS energy & thought... Dont be so Lazy.

Building or Bitching? which are you here to do?

YES, i work for TEC Tactical. 02/07 SOT

Feedback Score

that is a cool concept... I'd be a lot more interested in it. if stock magazines were usable with out modifications... yes 600 is a bit of money..but standard M1 carbines are fetching as much and more these days... I think if I got one I'd install it on a carbon fiber upper receiver and see how light I could make it..

4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

B2B,

his adapter is the main thing.... its not "just an adapter" it also has the feed ramp correction in it..

if you had a barrel & headspaced it yourself? you would save $225 right off the bat & would be in this thing pretty cheap.

wasnt sure on the magazines to start with, but after you get one from him... then its easy to see exactly what you do to it & why. his modification to the magazine has ZERO affect on the mags still working in your regular M1 carbine.

that was gonna be a sticking point for me if it did.

what happens with his adapter is that you use a longer mag catch from him in your AR.. this holds the mag adapter in & holds the m1 carbine mag in.. & he has it to the perfect length so that when you press the mag release button it only drops out the M1 carbine mag. its probably the best magwell adapter ive seen so far.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Myself I just don't see the appeal of the 30 carb, x25, 300 blackout caliber uppers and some of these other odd ball calibers. There all over priced and ammo is way high too. So why bother?

If I want to throw 30 cal pills around, I'll stick with the x39s. Ammo's reasionable to buy ,the uppers are reasionable and reliable nowadays, and there in a caliber that is actually is good for more than just close up work or punching paper and still something you can afford to shoot.

The others just don't really yank my ya-ya much, I'll just stick with something affordible to shoot and something more effective for more things. IMHO a AR in 308,556 6.8 SPC and x 39 are the only calibers to really consider. The others are just more of a exersize in doing something different with no real pourpose for them.

Feedback Score

twa just thinking I haven't heard anything from ya for a while. now, the only appeal blackouts have for me is you don't need a bolt or mag. for it just load up and shoot after changing uppers.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by twa2471 View Post
    Myself I just don't see the appeal of the 30 carb, x25, 300 blackout caliber uppers and some of these other odd ball calibers. There all over priced and ammo is way high too. So why bother?

If I want to throw 30 cal pills around, I'll stick with the x39s. Ammo's reasionable to buy ,the uppers are reasionable and reliable nowadays, and there in a caliber that is actually is good for more than just close up work or punching paper and still something you can afford to shoot.

The others just don't really yank my ya-ya much, I'll just stick with something affordible to shoot and something more effective for more things. IMHO a AR in 308,556 6.8 SPC and x 39 are the only calibers to really consider. The others are just more of a exersize in doing something different with no real pourpose for them.
    TWA,

great points & if ya want to chat about it, i love talking guns!

so..... WHY?

well like you i think .300BO is ridiculous in price & would never pay that for it. but some guys like to have everything in an AR.

i used to be that way too.

got AR's in 9mm, TOK, 45acp, 7.62, 5.45, 5.56 & now 30 carb.

these are all pretty affordable to shoot with my ammo price running from .08(tok) to .38(30carb).

actual reason to do this AR that way? (especially since im trying to get away from AR's)....

got 4 M1carbines & my wife, kids are very comfortable with them & the round (low recoil, easy to field).. so putting this in an AR was just something else to get them to shoot.

the main thing was as you mentioned: because we can. some people smoke, some people cheat on their wife...

instead: i end up with too many guns in too many calibers. LMAO

in the blueridge mtns nutznboltz's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Doing something different with no real purpose. Works for me! The AR retro and the X39 uppers have no real purpose.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Why I have several in 9mm. .300 BLKO is the over priced pistol round. I have a brought back WWII M1 carbine for .30 CAL.
    M U S I B I K E

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Ya perry, I've been busy on spring projects and rigging a couple new fishing boats for some Buds. It's that time of the year!!

I'll tell ya Saen , I out grew all the wildcat chit and odd ball calibers years ago!! It was redicioulous to have to reload for all the normal calibers,, plus all the odd balls. The last thing I want to do now is to experiment and put up with all the BS related to wild cats like I used to.

Hell,,Now days the ones that used to be popular you couldn't find cases or projectiles for now anyway. To save your ass! So I'll stick to standard calibers thanks. IMHO, that's what will happen to some of the cartridges introduced recently , there a flash in the pan and they'll go the way of past odd ball calibers IMO.

Just like the ones of the past that I wasted a bundle on.

The only reason I even mention the 6.8 is because ot sounds like a Hell of a hunting round. That too is outa sight price wise, but hey,,,if you only use it for a hunting gun,,no biggie! It won't get shot that much anyhow.

AND AT THIS RATE OF ONLY TAKING ONE SHOT TO FILL EACH TAG,, WHY BOTHER??It's been that way every single year sense I can remember too,,,I'll not live long enough to shoot much through any of my hunting guns at this rate forChrist Sake!!!

I've got more chit now that will never get shot up as it is , I'll be damned if I'll jump on the odd ball caliber band wagon again. Not worth it with the extra costs involved on every front when building one. You sound like you've done your share of fire and die forming odd ball cartreges too, so you know what I'm saying!

Hell IMHO half the standard calibers that have been around forever and you could pick up at any mom & pop store perform just as well or better than half the wildcats ever made. Some of the modern magnum calibers will do absolutly what ever you you want !! Without all the expense.

But Hey,,if anyone wants to,, Hell go for it !! especially if you REALLY NEED a extra 50 FPS and 8 extra ft/lbs ,,,,,,, but remember,,,6 bucks plus a round average versus top of the line magnum ammo @ 1.50 tops that performs just as well for all practical purposes ! I know my choice ,,,,,,

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.