any one done a 7.62x40 wt yet and is it worst it? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: any one done a 7.62x40 wt yet and is it worst it?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Funny how the 30-30 is considered a marginal deer rifle unless your a AR owner comparing your ALMOST round.
    Then the 30-30 is a great round killed more deer than all others combined BS and the 300 BS Is almost a 30-30 more BS.

I think the 7.62x40 is a better round than the 300BS if subsonic is not a concern.
    Guys get all proud of a 300 BS ability to be slow an quiet for the same reasons it's a weak tit round super sonic. 99% of those guys with fast twist accuracy killing barrels have never even seen a surpressor . But hey its cool to say oh yeah well my round rocks surpressed despite they will never shot one.

The 7.62x40 can get close to or at 7.62x39 power. That dosent make it equal or better. It's a hand load only round really so let's do apples to apples and hand load the 7.62x39 now your 200 FPS behind again.

The problem is the AR15 us not strong enough to handel a hot 7.62x39 it's barely safe in 223.
    So if you take the AR out if the picture an just compare rounds based on the fact hand loading us involved the 7.62x40 is a looser.
    Case capacity is like HP the more us often better.
    Unfortunately a AR 15 can't handel it when pushed.
    If it could a warmed up 30 Grendel or 30 br or BRX variant would get you to about 150 FPS of a 308 win.

The 7.62x40 is taking the paramiters of a AR in safety an size and getting about the most out of a confining platgorm.

Sucks Remington dropped the ball on the 30 RAR like a lit I f there wonder products. It had potential.

That bolt will only take so much.

Bolt strength x mag lengthx caliber will only get you to a certain point of energy at x range. So pick a range pick a energy requirement to kill or hit your target an then see what calibure fits the criteria.

Under 200 yards I think a big bore wins in the range from the 44BGM to the 500 beowulf . Molenans 35 AR takes you further flatter but at a energy loss Further out the 6mm 6.8 ,25cal and 6.5's find a sweet spot on deer sized game.

If you willing to hand load and want a heavier bullet and still good range look hard at Moleman's 357 AR. it's on 223 brass an is a barrel change only for the most part.

I think from a cost stand point vs energy on target at ranges under 200 yards the 44 BGM will be about the best
    If loaded to safe AR 15 pressures.
    Moleman's is working on what I need to have a AR 15 Running soon and then I / we will know if there are feeding issues or other things making it a no go on a AR15.
    cases would be about 10 cents from used 30-06 brass.

Lots of AR wonder rounds to choose just use the formula that fits your sweet spot to get the best round possible for it

in the blueridge mtns nutznboltz's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I don't think I saw your 5.7 AR's. On WG maybe? I liked the 30 carbine build but really I just like the M1carbine rifle.Only have one at the moment but i'll do another for the grandkids to shoot the crap out of.

in the blueridge mtns nutznboltz's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Wasn't there a spitfire round for the carbine also? I remember Massad Ayoob coming up with one in 44 also.Don't remember what he called it. He wasn't into naming everything about his self.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.