Abandonment of the AR= could you? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Abandonment of the AR= could you?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by dutigaf View Post
    ^^^^ used to be AR parts where drop ins.. & NOW if you buy super high end stuff it usually is OK.

but the mountains of cheap LPK's & such we started getting in the 2009-2014 range were just all over the place as far as quality..

there was no control at all. we've had dozens of threads on da boards where people have trouble with an AR.

it was usually always just a junky discon that wouldnt work in 1 set but would work in another.

You guys never had this problem?

or where you just lucky enough to always get good stuff?

There ya go. I quit assembling ARs way back in the 90s to concentrate on the more involved parts kits builds. Just started again recently because of the unbelievable low prices lately. Have had no issues with any of the parts I have worked with in the last year or so, even the super cheap LPKs. In fact, they seem to have better stock trigger pulls than I remember. They have also all worked with the setscrew in the PG hole trick without doubling or other issues.

Now back in the day the Nesard discos were really bad, usually you had to go through the whole compartment in the display case and you MIGHT find a couple that had a fully formed hook instead of it missing a corner. Those doubled like crazy.

in the blueridge mtns nutznboltz's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Sad thing was some people thought it was neat. QC has improved over the decades thank God. Not my idea of fun at all.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kernelkrink View Post
    Now back in the day the Nesard discos were really bad, usually you had to go through the whole compartment in the display case and you MIGHT find a couple that had a fully formed hook instead of it missing a corner. Those doubled like crazy.

as always ...... your STILL teaching me things.

i honestly never heard of that name brand.... but its EXACTLY the same problem & way we been fixing them thru that time span. grab one.. nope ... toss it.. grab another one....

lots of times now days guys are using those fancy drop in trigger packs just to avoid those type of issues.
    Hate takes LESS energy & thought... Dont be so Lazy.

Building or Bitching? which are you here to do?

YES, i work for TEC Tactical. 02/07 SOT

4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by nutznboltz View Post
    Sad thing was some people thought it was neat. QC has improved over the decades thank God. Not my idea of fun at all.

Yeah, nowadays people pay $400 for a "Binary Trigger" that does the same thing! I could have done it for you, minus the selector function, for $2.99 back in '89...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by dutigaf View Post
    as always ...... your STILL teaching me things.

i honestly never heard of that name brand.... but its EXACTLY the same problem & way we been fixing them thru that time span. grab one.. nope ... toss it.. grab another one....

lots of times now days guys are using those fancy drop in trigger packs just to avoid those type of issues.
    Guy by the name of Drasen made "Sendra" brand lower receivers, which were actually quite decent for the day. He also ran a parts operation called "Nesard" that sold parts for most US military weapons. QC was non existent, I dunno where he got them but some were rumored to be sourced from the scrap bins. If it looked like a part, it got tossed into the parts display trays and sold at all the major gunshows. Anyways he eventually sold out the Sendra business to an outfit that would become Bushmaster and his daughter took over the parts side of things, calling it "Model 1 Sales". I guess she couldn't figure out another way to re-arrange "Drasen" to spell out a new company name? Haven't purchased anything from her for years, but it did seem her operation had some better quality items, likely due to the proliferation of makers of parts at about that time.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

holy crap!

now once you get to model 1 sales i know who they are.... bought a lot of stuff from them back in the "early for me" days of the hobby...
    Hate takes LESS energy & thought... Dont be so Lazy.

Building or Bitching? which are you here to do?

YES, i work for TEC Tactical. 02/07 SOT

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Methinks between the kernel and I your head would explode. The tossed disconnectors that were surplused in the day had rounded edges from being stamped. They wouldn't pass inspection so they were sold as scrap.
    Ending up where? You're local gunshow. The good ole days. NOT.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I started assembling ARs sometime around '85 maybe? I had just turned 21 and was trying to save up (on $3.35 hr min wage) the $200 needed for a Form 1 DIAS. Then May '86 hit and that was the end of that dream.

Back then for AR parts you had about a half dozen players and that was it. Nesard, Quality Parts (became Bushmaster after they acquired Sendra lowers), and SGW/Olympic Arms were the big ones. Several companies just made lowers and maybe uppers but these guys were the small parts sources. IIRC Nesard had $250 kits with everything but the lower. OlyArms sold complete kits with lower minus the bolt carrier for about $300. The nice thing was about a week after the OlyArms kit arrived a bolt carrier would mysteriously appear via UPS without an invoice. Apparently they had to pay excise tax if they sold you a whole rifle, even in unassembled form.

Unfortunately the OlyArms discos were about as bad as Nesards, you usually had to invest in a genuine Colt disco for $12 to get them to stop firing on the pull and release!

Those were the days though, the Indy1500 actually had bargains on guns for sale, tons of cheap parts kits, and lots of cheap military surplus stuff. Thousand plus round crates of Chinese ammo in the $60-80 range. One of these days I'm going to get that Delorean and Flux capacitor going and head back there. I'm going to need a trailer too!
    nutznboltz likes this.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Did we go to different schools together too? I started in the late 70's.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I had an IMI uzi,an HK94 just waiting to get the funds saved up. Then 1986 hit. No time to paper.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.