NEW BUILDS-FTF on one, first round bolt jamed on other. - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: NEW BUILDS-FTF on one, first round bolt jamed on other.

in the blueridge mtns nutznboltz's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by dutigaf View Post
    couple of things for you to check..

SPrat hit it on the drill with bore brush for the chamber... i do this all the time.

next on the "short stroking"... my good friend Gary Willy taught me that if you think you have short stroke or ammo issues the easy way is to just chamber one round & fire it.

if it blows back & locks open? you aint got short stroke issues. :-)

if it doesnt? then repeat the test with different ammo to see if its ammo or gas issue.

lastly would be those mags causing drag or stick situations.
    Gary and I get along great. Nuff said. Works with 45's too.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by railbuggy View Post
    May never know what caused what yesterday. The three AR15 rifles were assembled by me in this condo I moved into last May. I forgot to inspect and oil them before we went shooting yesterday. All three function as they are sapost to except for that BCG with the short firing pin. None of the local parts shops I called had a M16/AR15 firing pin. I'll need to order one on the net. I have half the parts I need to build #6, so I might as well order a new BCG with the firing pin.
    Make the ones you have right first. Buy ammo. Go shooting. Have fun. Lifes short.
    "I wish I had invented a lawn mower"
    Mikhail Kalashnikov in later years

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I have to figure out what firing pin I need. All barrels I used were 5.56 chambers. I bought a BCG from a local gun shop and I think it had an out-of-spec firing pin. 3.089 is what my caliper reads. My BCM BCG has a pin that is 3.277. My third rifle that fired with no problems from the start has a pin that reads at 3.274. I don't know how that short firing pin was able to fire a round when we went shooting on Sunday the 7th. Yesterday that same bolt failed to fire a round. I looked at the tip and the tip is not broken off. I'm reading up on firing pins. I believe there is a difference between M16 bolt and AR15 bolt pins. When buying parts to build these ARs I wanted to stay as close to mil-spec as possible. Anderson stripped uppers and lowers, Anderson LPKs. I will pick up a chamber brush today and do as Sprat suggested. Maybe being new parts they just need to be broke in.
    SOON-We already lost the war. You are the resistance.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

hey which part of your three rifles did you build!! sounds like a assembly project to me
    nutznboltz likes this.
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Sprat View Post
    hey which part of your three rifles did you build!! sounds like a assembly project to me
    You have NO idea how much we agree:
    "I wish I had invented a lawn mower"
    Mikhail Kalashnikov in later years

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Hasn't mentioned buffer type either. Standard,H2 or H3?
    And why not just two lowers and invest in uppers? Different strokes for different folks I reckon

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Anderson is local. Upper and lower receivers were Anderson as were the lower parts kits with the SS triggers. Barrels were one Faxon 18"5.56 from AIM Surplus, and two 5.56 CBC 16" barrels I bought local from a KY vender(TRIGGERS). Buffer tube kits were Anderson carbine. The BCGs were all bought local. One was sold as a BCM BCG from Point Blank shooting range across the street from me. On sale for 69.99. I bought one at Hibberd Armory, a local gun shop for 99.99 that had no marking at all. I believe it was the one with the wrong firing pin. I just returned from Hibberd Armory with a brand new Anderson marked BCG, and a replacement firing pin. John the owner said he thinks that short firing pin is for a 9mm AR bolt. Someone screwed up. The third bolt was bought from TRIGGERS gun shop in KY. All other parts were from local stores, or Sportmans guide, PSA, and AIM Surplus. Buffer tubes had the 2.9/3.0 ounce buffers.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

It's all good man. Enjoy!

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)

ARs are American. They like their oil.

I took an AMD out to test fire with no oil and metal filings still in it once.

If I remember correctly it went about 80 rounds before it jambed.

ARs don't like that. Clean it up and oil it real good like Sprat said.

I measured 2 pins. one a dpms and one fulton armory. Both are 3.378

I think there are more and more crappy parts being made every day so try to be selective when your buying.

Does Tonys Customs set up at shows in your area? His sign says 'good parts aren't cheap and cheap parts aren't good.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

John, I bought my Harbor Freight digital caliper back in 2006 when I bought my first RomyG kit. It might be off a bit. At last testing all three assembly's will emptied a 30 round magazine without malfunction. Besides the wrong firing pin in one of the bolts, I think maybe lack of oil and tight new parts were the problem. I retested with both brass and steel cased ammo yesterday after buying the correct firing pin. I don't think Tonys Customs makes it to my area. I see his shop is 187 miles north of Cincinnati. Bill Goodman does the big shows in my area. I bought some parts from the Sharonville, Ohio show last July.
    Bill Goodman's North American Gun & Knife Shows

I have two more AR assembly's at my sisters house that have not been fired. One was a 16" carbine kit from Anderson, and the other is a 11.5" pistol assembly using a PSA complete upper, Spikes stripped lower, and Anderson LPK. My 24yo son started shooting dope again before I moved last year. I moved all my firearms to a secure location. He's in a halfway house in KY now trying to stay clean.AR15 pistol.jpg

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.