Gunco Forums banner

AK74 Mags

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Carb850 
#1 ·
Are any type more reliable than the others? Such as the orange bakelite vs black polymer.

#3 ·
Hey Frank--

I can't tell the difference between them operationally.

I think the German orange ones are ugly.

But Aluma Hyde II is like gravy;

it covers a variety of sins.

#4 ·
Winn R said:
Hey Frank--

I can't tell the difference between them operationally.

I think the German orange ones are ugly.

But Aluma Hyde II is like gravy;

it covers a variety of sins.

You have never had my wife's meat loaf. :scared:

#6 ·
scubadvr said:
Jack, does your wife need my meatloaf recipe? I have a good one that seems to be popular with my family and friends.

Back to the -74 mags. The orange bakelites I have seem sturdy enough and feel heavy duty. The polymer mags seem sturdy also. Guess it all depends on what you prefer. Another thought is the orange -74 mags have metal followers and the polymer -74 mags (bulgarian) I have all have plastic followers.

#8 · (Edited)
charles, your steel ones are very nice.
never had any problems with e/g mags, but, only circle 10' s work in my sar-the others fit to tight to lock up.

#9 ·
scubadvr said:
Come on Jack, -- your wife is not a meatloaf kind of a girl.

That's a little like hooking some of those ponies in your backyard to a wagon.

And what's the difference between those different numbers in the circle? K-var gets different prices - some better?

#10 ·
Winn R said:

And what's the difference between those different numbers in the circle? K-var gets different prices - some better?

winn, the different numbers are for different factories in Bulgaria. I'm not sure which number goes to which factory though. As to if some are better - ????

#11 ·
Like sniper69 said on the mag numbers. I do not think one is any better than the other.

Sorta like Izzy vs Tula arsenals. Tula Mosin Nagants bring more money than Izzy Mosin Nagants while Izzy SKS's bring more money than Tula SKS's.

As for Polymer mags vs Bakelite, I can only assume the Polymer has to be better....It is newer. I doubt they would switch production to an inferior material. That being said I still have not heard of any problems with the bakelite mags. I recently picked up several AK74 bakelite mags for < $5 a piece :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.