Wyco Shotgun Weak Primer Strikes

Thread: Wyco Shotgun Weak Primer Strikes

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Wyco Shotgun Weak Primer Strikes

My dad's old (1930's?) Wyco double barrel hammerless has some light primer strike problems. Works fine w/ standard 209 primers. When using the Magtech brass hulls w/ Federal pistol primers, not working.

This link should work - shows the shotty I'm talking about: Pookieweb

Using the Magtech brass hulls for some Black Powder loads.

To fix this, I'm going to take it apart and see if the springs can be shimmed on the back, possibly increasing the spring pressure. This would verify the weak spring question. If the firing pin is worn, not sure if I can machine a new one as I haven't seen it taken apart.

I wonder if the Magtech brass may recess the primer pocket a bit too deep. Wondering aloud there. I realize as I'm typing that I will now have my other shotguns handy to test those loads, so I may try to run a few through one of my modern shotguns to see how they work.
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Looks strikingly similar to an old American Gun Co double that I have from the same period. Mine was shot loose and peened several times. It seems that staking the screws was a common practice before locktite.
    Last edited by hvymax; 04-07-2015 at 04:04 PM.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Never know ,,it just might have 80 years of crud under the flange on the firing pin keeping it from working right.Ya never know??

I've bought many guns over the years that ,"didn't work" and all they really needed was a good cleaning to get all the years of crud out sense they hadn't been cleaned properly sense they were new.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

WELL CRAP! My dad had an offer on it and sold it - actually traded it for some more junk - lol

Soooooooo I guess I'll never know. Since the standard shot shell 209 primers always work, and only the pistol primers were failing, I suspect the 80 year old spring was/is getting weaker.

When he first got it I did some investigation and these were a dime-a-dozen back in the 20's and 30's, all the way up through the '60s. So there wasn't really any inherent value in this "value priced" gun to begin with, so no big loss.

It was however quite fun to break open the action. Something about double barrels! I have been looking at "Rifling Guns" I think they are called, that are 19th century combo guns with double barrel shotgun, and single round rifle barrels. 3 barrels in all. THey are *usually* pretty expensive and often have antique caliber loadings, so they are as much conversation pieces as they would be hunting guns. In fact some have to have custom brass made up for these antiquated calibers they are loaded for. I'd love to have one of those but can't justify the $5,000-20,000 price range on them. Yet.
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

They are called Drillings.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I had 2 Drilling's at one time and I really kick my ass I ever sold either. The 12ga/7x57, I paid 5-$600 for it in the late early- mid 70's and sold it in the late 90's for almost 14K,,so I guess I did good. It was a beautiful gun. I don't recall what the other was though, but it was all rifle calibers 8mm or 7x56 over twin 11mm I think it was??? A big Boy anyhow,,,that one gave me the down payment money for my first house and paid off almost a quarter of it right off. That one I paid several thousand for though, but still over tripled my $$$ when I sold it.

Both were highly engraved and inlay-ed and something like you'd see in a museum.

Way back I had mostly antique and unusual guns like that, but got to the point I wanted to actually shoot the guns I had,but most I had back then were guns you really wouldn't want to shoot anyhow even though any one of them was perfectly safe to shoot. I had several old Colt cap and ball revolvers, Remingtons,, high end Winchesters, a complete run of all the Allen and Thurber pepper box models ever made, lots of Kentucky style rifles, many Revolutionary war era rifles, and stuff like that.

I have a few neat guns left, but mostly stuff I can go out and shoot and not the high end collector stuff I used to have.
    Over the years they have all gone down the road pretty much.

in the blueridge mtns nutznboltz's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I have seen drillings. Owned one? Lol! Sadly no.would have wanted to shoot it and I know better.

Search tags for this page

wyco firearms

wyco hammerless

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.