My 12GFH project
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 12GFH project

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default My 12GFH project

I am finally, after literally years of keeping this on the back burner, getting this project underway. It is "just" a longer 3.5" design at 3.85". Why that length? The original wildcat design was a modified .50 BMG case with an added rim. So that's why. Boils down to .700 Nitro Express performance in a shotgun package, for a fraction of the price. I think I'll have < $700 into this total! Inspired by Ed Hubel:

http://www.gunco.net/forums/113-gene...gun-rifle.html

So my plans are to build this on a H&R Ultra Slug Hunter. Since it is still a shotgun, I can hunt with it in Va. among other places.

Reamer. Ordered from Pacific Tool & Gauge. They have prints on file. Patiently waiting for the reamer, and will of course refinish the barrel once I'm done. I plan to add "express sights" since I just can't stand having a scope rail on a shotgun but that's my personal preference.

Slugs. Plans are to use a "big slug" in them, up to 1000 grains. I may need to add a seatbelt to the gun

I ordered the mold from accuratemolds.com. I ordered the largest one, .731" in the 985gr weight range. Yep. Ordered the "hollow base nose pour" so I can add my own base plug. One can also use sabots, of course, and "the" sabots that Ed had made up are meant to work with .58 cal Minie slugs. So I can go 500gr or lower with those... in fact I ordered a Lee 500gr .58 cal slug mold just for this project.

The mold just happens to fit the Lee handles. I built the base plug (see pic) so that it can be adjusted on the screw to change its height. This way, I can make different weights with the same mold by varying the plug, or making different base plugs. Just so happens the very first base plug I made drops 799gr slugs! Serendipity.

I plan to make some more base plugs. I also plan to make some for the .58 cal Minie slugs, so I should be able to go down to about 400-350gr .58 cal slugs for those sabots.

I slugged these 800gr beauties through the barrel and get good engagement of the rifling grooves, so this should be a very accurate slug. Quenched in water to enhance hardness.

Brass. The brass is made by Rocky Mountain Cartridge company. They are under new management, and I sent them the line drawing of the reamer from Pacific Tool & Gauge. Patiently waited and you can see how nice and shiny the finished product turned out... VERY much worth the wait! Not much to say here... I made some rims to convert .50 BMG brass, but this much "factory" brass will last me a lifetime... and it is stamped 12 Ga FH! I may crimp them to be fairly tight. That seems to be what others are doing based on Ed's remarks. Plans are to crimp with a "Lee style" crimp arrangement, and Ed said that some have used a collet in a milling machine to give it that final crimp. Which may be what I do.

Powder. Reloader 17 (aka RE17 or RL17) seems to be a good powder to start. Avoiding .50 BMG powder avoids the need for .50 BMG primers. I need to re-read Ed's long thread before I drop powder to make sure I have a good starting load. Standard 209 primers... don't think you need magnums but again need to re-read Ed's discussion since many facts are mentioned in passing. I'll update as I go along.

Wads. Plan to use circlefly.com wads to ensure the powder is properly packed against the primer. This avoids overpressure situations where the primer hits a "void", over-igniting the powder causing pressure spikes.

Dies. I have some vintage Herters 12 gauge reloading dies. I should be able to use these for most of the reloading operation. I can probably hand load these since there are so few rounds to load up... doubt I'll be shooting this much on any given day!

That's about it for now. Currently awaiting the reamer, and also the express sights.

12GFHslugmold.jpg
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I like it. After my beltfed I'll be placing an order with Pac Nor.

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by hcpookie View Post
    Ed said that some have used a collet in a milling machine to give it that final crimp.
    You can buy a 5C collet closer and a single collet for under $50; $35 if you shop hard.
    Perge, scelus, mihi diem perficias.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements

Gunco Good ole boy 2ndAmendican's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Awesome Pookie! I've actually not read much on this round, as it wasn't up my alley, but now I'm finding it very interesting.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

It's definitely a man's gun. I'm kinda planning mine as a poor man's Barrett.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Got my 1:24 barrel blank!!! Now all I need is a 935 donor barrel and some lathe time!!! I am planning on using .7200 dia and use wads for the sabots like I do with the Lee slugs. I have 3 1/2" shells and some brass I want to experiment with. I am thinking Retumbo for a powder.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Now all I need is a 935 donor barrel and some lathe time!!! I am planning on using .7200 dia and use wads for the sabots like I do with the Lee slugs. I have 3 1/2" shells and some brass I want to experiment with. I am thinking Retumbo for a powder.
    AND A MUZZEL BRAKE AN A RECOIL PAD .

Were did your action come form ? is the threads 1.5"-16 I may have the 50 BMG barrel from it .

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I'm going with the Mossberg 935 for the action. It's made to hurl 2 1/4 oz of shot at around 1600fps. I have approached this with 1000gr slugs as well. The only problem was twist rate. After running across Hubel I have been able to push 2000fps with less pressure. I will see how Retumbo does. It is even slower than Hubel's powders hence lower pressures.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Oh I thought you were using a Madi Griffin receiver or some thing . There is another guy doing one on a different site then . ??

I have wanted to get the heavy H&R 12 guage barrel an do some ting similar for a while . I have one( my sons collection ) of Hubbell's brass cases taunting me .

2000 FPS is pretty damn fast for that much lead

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

thats pretty friggin massive!

12GFHslugmold.jpg
    Hate takes LESS energy & thought... Dont be so Lazy.

Building or Bitching? which are you here to do?

YES, i work for TEC Tactical. 02/07 SOT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.