Gunco Forums banner

" 9mm AK-74 , First look "

45K views 140 replies 64 participants last post by  matrxx 
#1 · (Edited)
" 9mm AK-74 , First look " " Movie-Page 10"

Ok guys , here you go . Title says it all , it is a working AK-74 in 9mm . And yes , I know I need to redo the dustcover [gimme a break , it's our prototype :) ] . Our question is this , What do we call it ? We want to give it a model name but are undecided ,actually we're arguing like schoolgirls . Give us a hand with it . Will , Matt, RJF

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
AK-9 - standard stock 9mm
AK-9F - Folder 9mm
AK-9S - standard stock 9mm with optic rail
AK-9FS - folding stock 9mm with optic rail
AK-9C - car style folder 9mm
AK-9CS - CAR style folder 9mm with optic rail

Or did you want some freaky name....

#5 ·
DrugRunR said:
AK-9 - standard stock 9mm
AK-9F - Folder 9mm
AK-9S - standard stock 9mm with optic rail
AK-9FS - folding stock 9mm with optic rail
AK-9C - car style folder 9mm
AK-9CS - CAR style folder 9mm with optic rail

Or did you want some freaky name....
I think DrugrunR summed it all up here. I was going to say pretty much the same thing without all the extensions. AK-9!! Good job DR!

#6 ·
Yeah , it is an AK-9 . Do we want to put a nickname behind it though? Not Bizon or Master or Krinkov , but somthing along those lines ? We're looking at it as a production rifle series , I'd like somthing cool and catchy behind the AK-9 . "Tactical Carbine " just seems kinda bland . { NOT "Frankenanything" Blaine !} The onlything non std "AK" is the barrel and mag .
Oh , about the rifle , The 100 series frontend will be standard as will a siderail . Standard furniture will be Bulgarian blk plastic from k-var . Sidefolder will be the Ace . All std AK accesories , furniture , triggers , ultramak gastube , optics , whatever , drop right on . It uses the 36 rnd Soumi mag . We do plan on selling individual parts and some sort of kit for the "do it yourselfers" . Or not , What do you guys think ? Is there a market for an AK-9 ? Help us out guys, We need some feedback on this !

#9 ·
Red Jacket Firearms said:
Yeah , it is an AK-9 . Do we want to put a nickname behind it though? Not Bizon or Master or Krinkov , but somthing along those lines ? We're looking at it as a production rifle series , I'd like somthing cool and catchy behind the AK-9 . "Tactical Carbine " just seems kinda bland . { NOT "Frankenanything" Blaine !} The onlything non std "AK" is the barrel and mag .
Oh , about the rifle , The 100 series frontend will be standard as will a siderail . Standard furniture will be Bulgarian blk plastic from k-var . Sidefolder will be the Ace . All std AK accesories , furniture , triggers , ultramak gastube , optics , whatever , drop right on . It uses the 36 rnd Soumi mag . We do plan on selling individual parts and some sort of kit for the "do it yourselfers" . Or not , What do you guys think ? Is there a market for an AK-9 ? Help us out guys, We need some feedback on this !

I do believe there are people that would be interested in making their own AK-9 or even other calibers. If you had conversion parts for sale in would increase the market.

#10 ·
m03 said:
Are those Suomi mags single-feed or double-feed?

It might be cool to convert it to use MP5/HK94/SP89 mags, to make it appear more like the similar Russian SMG.
The Soumi mags are double stack and cost $6.00 . It takes a tiny "bump" with a dremmal cutting wheel to fit it and the things lock up just like a regular AK mag . I looked at the MP5 mags , that is doable for a home project , onesytwosy thing but would be way to pricy for a production gun . I wanted to keep this as " off the shelf " std AK as possiable

#11 ·
SangRun Hunter said:
I do believe there are people that would be interested in making their own AK-9 or even other calibers. If you had conversion parts for sale in would increase the market.
The "conversion" parts and kits would come in from production overflow , after the rifle is on the market and I can just reach into the box of receivers , barrels , whatever and pull it out. " Be-aych" ? you aint right bro :)

#16 ·
DrugRunR said:
hey will the 71 drums work on it???
No , they wont . I didn't want to have to get into whacking into the receiver , you'ld have to build in a reinforcemnt for the drums too . I looked at doing it , but in the end just got lazy and went with the 36 rnd stick . 3 sticks side by side still take up less room in a pouch then 1 drum [ my little justification for lazy designer ;) }
" bump-a-matic" ? Oh , so you've shot it, huh ? :) That was our reaction btw , damn thing is like shooting a .22 .

#18 ·
Suomi-AK. Not to be confused with Mani-AK. :D

Um dunno... AK-RJ9 sounds good. Say it fast...rings like the AR-15 or MP5... kinda like O-r-e-o. Remember what John Wayne said in "Green Berets" - "It Sings!" Ya dig me? :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.