Gunco Forums banner

Hungarian 20rd mags

3K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  7.62x39 
#1 ·
last week I asked about BHO mags and the conversation turned to Hungarian 20 rd mags I saw that Cheaper than dirt had them but they were spendy

AKblue recommended I go here AK 20rd Mag Package - 3 Mags and Pouch #PKG07
well I can't thank him enough, the great thing about this site is the vast knowledge we can share. I got one set of three, as you can tell the mags are like brand new the pouch is in great to excellent condition total with shipping was $53 and change, I should have gotten two sets. I will try them out next week at the range
having trouble uploading pictures will try later

sprat

#3 ·
Sprat..

Yes they are good mags.. Good deal..
Now I do not build rockets at the Space Center.
But I do have 7 years of High School under my belt.
I collect the Yugo bolt hold open mags.
But can anyone please tell me what in the name of God the advantage is too that?
Seems it just slows down a freah mag insert?
Maybe I am wrong, hell I don't know?

#5 ·
Wasn't there a selector lever made/modded at one time that would allow it to hold the bolt open for ranges with that rule? IIRC it was around 2002 time frame there was a place that started selling them.

Something like this one:

4th - - As for mags that have the BHO follower - once the mag is pulled out the bolt will slam forward. It would seem to me that it would be a negative and not an advantage. :)

#6 ·
Thats what I,ve seen Sniper.(Your photo)Five out of seven Chinese 5rd mags I have,have the BHO follower.I had to remove the dimple with my Dremel tool so they would work. I bought some of those $11.95 Surplus European Steel AK47 7.62x39 30rd Magazines from AIM last week and I beleave they are Chinese spineless mags w/bho follower. I dident get back heavy into guns until my home was broken into by a neighbor in 2004.I got my CCW that year and started reloading 45acp that I fired at my range.(Whitewater river bank,Rt50)I have four AK type weapons ready to go at this time in my safe,but I havent altered the safety on any of them.

#7 ·
Yes sniper. That is what I am saying.
Now you have too hold the bolt to get the mag out, let if go forward, then put in a fresh mag.
Damn by then, the whole commie Army could be on top of you.
I collected the Yugo mags, just because they are different.
Chinese mags seem pretty decent also. I like them.
Food for thought with these way long extended mags.
If you get in a prone position. Those way long mags could force you too have your weapon higher than you may want.
Plus get caught on brush and what not.
Guess in the correct conditions, good.
We got along fine with the 20 rounders, back in the Civil War when I served. :)

#9 ·
yes sniper in the original thread where I asked about the BHO mags afew days back I have a link to a site that shows how to make your own selector bho in conjunction with the BHO mags

as far as the BHO mags its a novelty

I wanted the 20rd mags for prone shooting. I have one 40 RPK east german mag it is impossible for prone shooting.

I prefer 20rd mags in my ar's, and buy in bulk when I can

sprat

#13 ·
sprat - my bad - I missed the original thread (now I need to go back and read it). :)

I have a few of the BHO mags in the collection, but I don't use them for anything at this point other than collecting dust.
The 20 rd. hungarian mags are nice. I have a few in the box o' mags. :D As for the AR - all I have so far are 30 rd mags. I guess I need to remedy that though. :cheers:

#11 ·
The Hungarian mags are very nice, I'd put them at or very close to the top of the list for quality.

As for the safety/BHO, the Yugo M92 (krink) had this as a factory item. I think everyone copied it from that?

#12 ·
The chinese mags that we are all PO'ed about, that look like Yugo BHO mags...........are actually Albanian mags. The Albanians copied the chinese stuff, but with less quality control, so they are European mags, with crappy QC standards. Ever cut your hand on the edges of the "chinese mags"(those are Albanian)?; the chinese have better QC than the Albanians, so they make better finished mags

#14 ·
copying from the ultimate copiers of a known history (China) and the Albanians made a poorer quality copy mag
thanks for the heads up cause I have seen those mags for sale, not that I want any ( I prefer East german & Warsaw pact mags)

Sniper NO Problem

sprat

#15 ·
Them 20 rounders are the very best.

Centerfire had those last year going for $24/ea for the three pack sets in that nice pouch included. It can also hold an oil bottle plus a tool kit. They are $53 now!

Glad I broke down and picked up a few!

#17 ·
I got 4 from Tapco @ $6 each, brand new in wrap back in the day. Work perfect in my AMD65 "pistol", you can sling it under a coat without too much lumpiness sticking out.

Anybody got a working "Mr Fusion Home Reactor" I can fit to the Delorian? Damn electric company sez my dropline isn't rated for 80 gigawatts.......

#20 ·
After seeing this thread I ordered 3 of these mags. Got them in the other day, they are in pretty good condition. Should go well with this pistol if I ever finish it! Damn, you guys are running me right into the poor house.................
Ken

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.