• 1 Post By mtdew
  • 1 Post By moleman
  • 1 Post By dutigaf

Thread: New M70 on the 4th!

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default New M70 on the 4th!

As a shout out to VZ58 and his "how I rebuilt my milled ak's for $55" thread stickied above, here is a M70 reweld that got test fired today. Made the sideplates about 6-7 years ago, along with the barrel. Been sitting on a shelf since then but with the corona shutdown our governor implemented it gave plenty of spare time to dust off old projects. Dovetailed, then mig welded in a piece of 4130 to make the ejector from. Welded on the left side repair plate from the inside, then the right from the inside. Cleaned up the welds with the mill. Welded the outsides and cleaned up the welds again with the mill a couple thousands proud then used die grinders with 2" roloc sanding disks to blend the welds. Used woodruff/keyseat cutters to clean the weld out of the rails and the rest of the inside. Added a scope rail for a Zrak scope which requires a 8mm slot be cut in the left side of the receiver. Finished it up earlier today enough to test fire it. Now to strip it down for parkerizing and find where I put the cleaning rod 7 years ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by moleman; 07-05-2020 at 10:22 AM.
    Tommo likes this.
    350 Legend, imitation is the highest form of flattery. Aww, Thanks Winchester!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

That looks great, wish I knew how to weld.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Used a Hobart 210 mig to weld that one up. Much easier to get a good weld than the HF fluxcore welder that I've had for 20 years. Probably about as close as you're going to come to a metal caulk gun. Pretty much followed VZ58's thread except I'd made the rails as part of the repair plates and used a mill to clean out the excess weld which made it much easier I think. Few more weld pics. Pics don't show the seams "V"ed out but they were just prior to welding.
    Tommo likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by moleman View Post
    Used a Hobart 210 mig to weld that one up. Much easier to get a good weld than the HF fluxcore welder that I've had for 20 years. Probably about as close as you're going to come to a metal caulk gun. Pretty much followed VZ58's thread except I'd made the rails as part of the repair plates and used a mill to clean out the excess weld which made it much easier I think. Few more weld pics. Pics don't show the seams "V"ed out but they were just prior to welding.
    Hello moleman,
    Excellent craftsmanship on your milled AK build !!! It looks flawless.

VD in AZ

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Thanks Gary, hope all is well out west. The first one I attempted 15-20 years ago didn't turn out nearly so well so I was elated when this one went together so nice and easy. It's been hot and humid here in MI (not AZ hot though) so I haven't been working on #2 much past where it's shown above as the lower receiver in post 3 pics 2-3. Going to end up as a M76 clone with M76 furniture but on a m72 type receiver (no top cover lock). Turned and chambered the barrel for it in 2014 also. After that There's still a M70 and M64 pair of underfolders to reweld. Will have to make more repair plates though.
    Tommo likes this.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by moleman View Post
    Thanks Gary, hope all is well out west. The first one I attempted 15-20 years ago didn't turn out nearly so well so I was elated when this one went together so nice and easy. It's been hot and humid here in MI (not AZ hot though) so I haven't been working on #2 much past where it's shown above as the lower receiver in post 3 pics 2-3. Going to end up as a M76 clone with M76 furniture but on a m72 type receiver (no top cover lock). Turned and chambered the barrel for it in 2014 also. After that There's still a M70 and M64 pair of underfolders to reweld. Will have to make more repair plates though.
    +1

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

The M70 had an occasional short stroke that I chocked up to very tight rails. The more it got shot the more it began short stroking until it stopped cycling altogether. More than enough gas and the rails had been loosened up a little so time to pull the gas valve and replace it. Sure enough the gas valve looked like a goodly portion of it's diameter had rusted away, it's bore in the gas block was oval and looked like the inside of a very old cast iron pipe. I believe initially there was enough rust in the gas block to seal up the valve, but the more it was shot the more the rust and crud got blown out until it leaked too much. Using the the grenade sight that is attached to the valve as a handle you could move the valve back and forth 1/16" on the head side and almost 1/8" on the nut side which it wouldn't do before. Made a new simple oversized valve out of 17-4 SS and reamed out the gas block to .4067" (closest reamer to the AKbuilder oversized .402" valves that I could find in the shop) so the valve bore was smooth and round and the .406" valve would just fit and turn smoothly. It's back to being a brass throwing machine. The head and nut will get thinned a little before staking the gas valve nut on for good. Several places sell replacement gas valves in different sizes if you need one and don't want to make your own.
    Tommo likes this.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Friend had a yugo sks with same problem. We thought that a new factory valve would fix it, but it didn't. We did a similar fix with a home made oversize valve but made it so it would nay longer turn and deleted the grenade sight.
    moleman likes this.
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Don't think a standard sized new gas valve would of worked as well for me either since the bore hole was oval on one side. I have an unissued Yugo SKS and had thought about just making a new gas valve for it out of SS. The M76 gas block for the next one has SS parts on it or at least chromed parts, but I've got two UF to do that will likely need new gas valves also.
    Tommo likes this.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

just fantastic looking work as always Moleman.
    Tommo likes this.
    Hate takes LESS energy & thought... Dont be so Lazy.

Building or Bitching? which are you here to do?

YES, i work for TEC Tactical. 02/07 SOT

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.