Rear trunnion rivets set....
Man, I love the bolt cutter rivet crushers. I modified a set of 18" bolt cutters with two sets of jaws. One for the front trunnion and a longer set ( one jaw ) for the underfolder rear trunnion rivet deep inside the receiver. You need to start the rivet squeeze slowly and with the bolt cutters tipped away from the rivet so the flat "crusher" jaw is at more or a right angle or parallel to the rivet tail. Once you squeeze it and watch it set you can move the bolt cutters to a right angle to the rivet and set it. If you start the rivet crooked its hard to recover from it. Think of driving a nail and if you start it crooked it goes where you aim it.
I used the 18" bolt cutters becasue they are smaller and easy to manipulate. I have no problem crushing rivets flat with the 18" bolt cutters but the 24" has more leverage.
Next up ready to test fire and check windage mechanical zero......
Well after a long delay I finally got my re-build project wrapped up with a happy ending. Working 70~80 hours a week cuts into your play time.....
My biggest problem was finding the time to refinish my parts and Ohio winter weather
cooperating so I could get it done. I finished the parts in black appliance epoxy.
Epoxy paint on mags....I love this stuff! - The AK Files Forums
Its got a hint of shine and that is what I wanted on this gun. Wood was finished with an oil based amber (yellow) shellac. I like the gloss of the Russian wood so I left it as-as and if I get bored of it I can make it satin pretty easily. I was ready to put it all together but somehow lost or misplaced the plunger for the folding stock. I looked for hours and never did find it. AK builder supplied me with a replacement quickly.
Russian Bakelite mags and bayonet are not "correct" for a Polish build but everything fits, functions and looks good so I am happy with the results. Its a long way from when I dragged the molested project / build home.
The lighting makes it look more shiny that it really is and some synthetic grease is smeared on the sides but you get the idea.
I think I saw sedona stain used on another site. I'll double check it.
Last edited by nutznboltz; 04-05-2016 at 06:18 AM.
Very nice work on that it came out excellent. Great tutorial..
"Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781
Good ole HCPookie really did us all a favor with the bolt cutter gizmo. Wish my rivets looked as good. Great job!!
It was a fun build and the original gun needed lots of help.....
All I can say is I apologize for my forum colleagues.
That's fukking outstanding!
You pretty much nailed it except for what your not telling us. I have more than one on every build I've done. Looks perfect but I see the defects every time I look at mine.
To you sir, a tip of my hat.
Whatever site I read it on as a members tag line, it's the truest statement ever made.
"Our forefathers would have been shooting by now"
member # 575
If there is any doubt, then there is no doubt.
Thank you very much for the tutorial and all the great photos. You did an amazing job saving the Polish parts kit, congratulations!