Reducing High Gloss Sheen? - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Reducing High Gloss Sheen?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Jacket Firearms
    My God man , that things a 'Vette!
    yeah it is supposed to be my "beater AKM" but looks and shoots like a safe queen!

I'm really becoming a big fan of that paint, especially after toying around at the range. It seems to hold up as good as duracoat to the normal scraping & scratching it gets at the range. The paint looks a bit "rubbed" but never actually gets traction when it gets rubbed against something. Time will ultimately tell I suppose.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Jacket Firearms
    For what it's worth , an enclosed area , some aluminum foil for a reflector and a portable shop light will get the temp of the metal up to about 150 - 170 degrees .
    I have been usin Martin Senour "Ruff Nek" paint from NAPA.
    It's inexpensive and durable as all get out. Made for Tractors, tools, farm equipment...
    It matched the finish from my Bulgy 74 and my AMD perfectly.
    I could not have asked for a better/closer match.
    It dries fast but seems to get very hard (cured) in about a week with out baking.
    However, when I finished my AMD I tried something a bit different but similar to Will's comment and it cured up a lot faster.

I used a small portable space heater (everyone has one of those, right), set horizontally in the seat of an Armchair (hot air blowing upward),
    using a couple mags on each side to raise it up, so air could flow freely and so it wouldn't overheat and shut off.

Then I rested the rifle on the arms of the chair, with the receiver directly over the heater. Pinpointing the heat so to speak to right where I wanted it.
    I flipped the rifle about every 15 mins to make sure of even heating.
    I also made a tent of Aluminum Foil over the top of the rifle and chair to keep the heat in and around the rifle and to allow the hot air to circulate.

This worked really well for me and the finish came out IMHO perfect.

Jerry, get a can of the Ruff Nek and give it a shot. I think that you'll like it.

Del
    Attached Images Attached Images

NNGL (No New Gun Laws), Keep the Criminals in Prison and leave my Guns alone.

Fords and Chevy's kill more people than guns do, let's ban them.

Pro 2-A, Gun Carrying Conservative, Anglican American

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Delmarksman
    I have been usin Martin Senour "Ruff Nek" paint from NAPA.
    It's inexpensive and durable as all get out. Made for Tractors, tools, farm equipment...
    It matched the finish from my Bulgy 74 and my AMD perfectly.
    I could not have asked for a better/closer match.
    It dries fast but seems to get very hard (cured) in about a week with out baking.
    However, when I finished my AMD I tried something a bit different but similar to Will's comment and it cured up a lot faster.

I used a small portable space heater (everyone has one of those, right), set horizontally in the seat of an Armchair (hot air blowing upward),
    using a couple mags on each side to raise it up, so air could flow freely and so it wouldn't overheat and shut off.

Then I rested the rifle on the arms of the chair, with the receiver directly over the heater. Pinpointing the heat so to speak to right where I wanted it.
    I flipped the rifle about every 15 mins to make sure of even heating.
    I also made a tent of Aluminum Foil over the top of the rifle and chair to keep the heat in and around the rifle and to allow the hot air to circulate.

This worked really well for me and the finish came out IMHO perfect.

Jerry, get a can of the Ruff Nek and give it a shot. I think that you'll like it.

Del
    Thanks for the tip! I'll have to find a NAPA store around here LOL

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.