Stock Refinshing Opinion Needed

Thread: Stock Refinshing Opinion Needed

Feedback Score

Default Stock Refinshing Opinion Needed

Hey all, I've got a few stocks and handguards that I want to refinish but I want your all's feedback on the way I should go about doing it. I've got pictures of them and what I plan to use to refinish. Any tips and pointers would be MUCH appreciated.

Hopefully working link just click on the info link.
    Last edited by -Mil-Surp-Phreak; 07-23-2005 at 10:33 PM.

Feedback Score

Your links aren't working..........

Feedback Score

Sunnova Bitch lol. Let me get them re-hosted.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

I just stripped the finish of my RPK stock and hand guard. They were really bad. I got some citrus (can't remember the actual name) finish stripper from Home Depot. It took the finish off quickly. I then put it in the dishwasher (turned off the heat on the dry cycle) after scrapping the crud off an using mineral sprits per the directions. They are ready for light sanding and finish. I like linseed oil as it stand up to the elements a little better but thats just me. Anyway, yours should clean up nicely. Jack

Feedback Score

Would denatured alchohol work too? I found some laying around my parents house and bought my own Tung Oil. The complete stock set I want to refinish doesnt seem to have the same finish as my other Romanian stocks so maybe someone already tried their hand at refinishing it?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

If the finish is shellac the denatured alcohol will remove it. If that doesnt work then get some kind of stripper. As scubadvr said above, citrus based ones work pretty well. When the finish is off you'll probably have some color from the old finish still in the wood. I'd wipe it with laquer thinner to get it really clean. You can then sand it smooth if you want. Are you wanting to lay down some new color? Tung oil by itself will be pretty blond. But if thats what you want you're all set!

Feedback Score

Thanks guys, I'll post pics when I'm done

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I?ve have used both the ?Citri-Strip? Floor, Porch & Deck Stripper, and the Spray-on ?Citristrip? Paint & Varnish Remover, both are made by W.M. Barr & Co. Both work well, but I think the paint-on Citri-Strip Floor, Porch & Deck worked the best. I was lucky because I picked up three quarts at Wal-Mart that they marked down to $1.50 ea. (75% off) The spray-on costs about $7.00 a can (17oz) in most stores, but I found a local ?Deals? store had it for $1.00 a can (Same stuff exactly). I bought and am now reading ?Gunstock Finishing and Care? by A. Donald Newell, I?d check at you?re local library and see if they have it or can get it for you. It?s an old book but gives you a great amount of info on re-finishing your stock, including stain and finish formulas or mixes of standard stains and finishes. One thing he stresses through the book is to keep exposure to water to a minimum. Wood sucks it in and it?ll take months to dry completely, and as the wood dries it shrinks, this isn?t much of a problem with a BLO finish but can/will cause any other harder more waterproof finish like your Tung Oil to crack over time ?spoiling the finish. I have always let a stock sit and dry for at least a month and as long as a year if I used water to remove any of the old finish. I like and always use Tung Oil but after reading this book I want to try a Varnish finish on at least one gun just to see how much work it is and the quality finish I can get. Good luck.
    "Moss Isley spaceport. You'll not find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy"
    (Actually this better describes Washington than Moss Isley)

Feedback Score

That is exactly what I'm going for iamiwa. Is that just with stripping the finish and adding tung oil?

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by -Mil-Surp-Phreak
    That is exactly what I'm going for iamiwa. Is that just with stripping the finish and adding tung oil?
    No. I stripped the wood with Bix stripper. Soaked them in hot (not boiling) bleach (Clorox) water for 3 or 4 hours. Soaked them in hot soapy water with some white vinegar added (I heard that it's supposed to neutralize the bleach). Dried them out for about 1/2 to 1 hour in the oven set on the lowest setting with the door cracked open. Sanded them with 150 grit and then 220 grit sandpaper. Soaked them in betadine for a few hours. Dried them out again. The betadine is water soluble and will raise the grain a little so I lightly sanded them with 220 grit to smooth them out again. I then rubbed in some minwax red mahogany stain that I dilluted with paint thinner (about 1 part paint thinner to 2 or 3 parts stain). Once they were good and dry, I applied about 3 coats of Zinsser Amber Shellac that I dilluted a little with denatured alcohol. All my supplies were purchased at Home Depot except for the betadine which you can buy at Walmart or Walgreens, etc.

Hope that helps.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.