How does Tung Oil on clean wood look? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How does Tung Oil on clean wood look?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Here's a pic I done on my Yugo with 7 coats of Tung. It's a little out of focus, but the best pic I have on file at the time. Tung oil and nothing else. I like seeing the wood naturally.

You only have the rights you are willing to fight for.
    I Like 1911's.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Very nice. I too prefer the natural oil finish where at all possible.

mac10

Feedback Score

Well guys I did my first stock refinish
    Here it is sanded old finish off 7 coats of tung oil formbies and lemon oil treatment. sorry for crappy pics my phone cam is all i have.

Attached Images Attached Images

4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Preacher the picture will give them a good idea as to how Tung Oil will look. And you?re right that it takes about seven coats to get that smooth of a finish. Tung Oil isn?t the best at filling the wood?s pores so it takes a good four or more coats just to get the wood surface level before you start to build a deep looking finish. A couple of tips about Tung Oil.
    1. Do use a filler, and use a silica type filler if you can get one (Silica?s will stay in place better)
    2. Don?t add Japan Dryer, it can cause wrinkles.
    3. For a faster fill and a less brittle finish add a little (Real) Spar Varnish. (5% to 40% max)
    4. If you?re doing just a clear finish over lite color wood it may be best not to use steel wool on the stock, I?ve heard that any wool that may get stuck in the wood can turn dark over time because of rust.
    "Moss Isley spaceport. You'll not find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy"
    (Actually this better describes Washington than Moss Isley)

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)

When doing the wood on my AMD-65, I used liquid stripper (from ACE Hardware) sanded with 180 then 200 W/D sand paper, used a tack cloth to remove any dust.

I then applied 2 coats of "Minwax Natural #209" and allowed them to dry, used a tack cloth again to remove any dust then finished with 3 coats of "Birchwood Casey" Tru-Oil, lightly buffing inbetween coats with "OOOO" steel wool.

The finished product looked quite nice and the overall finish was a semi-gloss as I didn't want the wood to look "to" shinny.

Of course "what color" the wood was finished in before you decide to re-finish depends on how light it will look. The bleach/water soaking method sounds interesting on how to lighten up a very dark stained piece of wood and the Romy kits out now will fall into that category.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.