Refinishing Hugarian SA-85 stocks - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Refinishing Hugarian SA-85 stocks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Argggggggg! LOL

Feedback Score

Is there any way of retaining the original finish, but cleaning the grease and dirt of off the stocks?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

BLO and Mayonnaise ??

Did I do that?

4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

1 ingredient right!! Alf, assuming that these have an oil finish you can use a bit of denatured alcohol and rub lightly. I can't be sure if it's oil or something else, looks like oil to me. Anyone else care to chime in on this?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

If it helps, I've used BLO and 0000 fine steel wool, followed by wiping clean with paper towel to clean Yugo wood while maintaining original finish. Works great.

Did I do that?

The Gun Nut of Gun Nuts noonanda's Avatar
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by ohmysac
    Might need a few more coats. Also might dull down the gloss when it dries hard. Can anybody guess what the finish is?
    BLO either thinned with paint/laquer thinner or turpintine and or some jap drier added ??? or spar varnish??

Or it could be a BLO/Tung mix, I have done that as well.

I ended up removing the stain, Im using the OXIClean methods discussed in the Romy stock topic to lighten the stains up, then I might use a couple BLO thinned coats followed by tung oil to seal it in. Not sure yet what the finish will be, I wanted to lighten the stains that were on it so I'm starting over, but it may get a new light coat of colonial maple. We will see
    Noonanda
    GySgt USMC

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence
    on those who would do us harm _ George Orwell

"I Like Marines, because being a Marine is a serious business. We're not a social club or fraternal organization and we don't pretend to be one. We're a Brotherhood of "WARRIORS", Nothing more, Nothing less, Pure and Simple. We are in the Ass-Kicking Business, and Unfortunately, these days business is good." COL J.M. LOWE, USMC 2004

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Here is mine that I refinished. I bleached the wood in an insane amount of Clorox bleach and this is after 12 coats of just plain ole Tung Oil. Looks better in person but the pic looks ok too. This wood takes a bit of work but Its worth it in the end.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by noonanda
    BLO either thinned with paint/laquer thinner or turpintine and or some jap drier added ??? or spar varnish??

Or it could be a BLO/Tung mix, I have done that as well.

I ended up removing the stain, Im using the OXIClean methods discussed in the Romy stock topic to lighten the stains up, then I might use a couple BLO thinned coats followed by tung oil to seal it in. Not sure yet what the finish will be, I wanted to lighten the stains that were on it so I'm starting over, but it may get a new light coat of colonial maple. We will see
    NOPE! BLO is one ingredient though. It's BLO and shellac believe it or not. 50/50 mix. Almost like a french polish. I did that as an experiment but didn't like the color so i stripped it and started over. I did do it to a Swiss K31 that had hardly and finish remaining on the buttstock end. Looked like any original K31 finish i've ever seen when I was done.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I have used the thick paint stripper that you get at the hardware store to remove old finish,followed by clorox bleach-water soaking method for years on old mausers with no adverse effect.I always soak it in clean hot water after to get rid of the bleach smell and that seems to kill any after effect.
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score

That looks like a nice process. I have been using a paint stripper on mine old
    set with steel wool, but still ahd to use a blade to get the remain sealant off.
    I got to try this method. Thanks

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.