Help! Cracked handguard. - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help! Cracked handguard.

Feedback Score

I have two rifles with cracked upper wood that have been glued, both Romanian laminate which tends to crack lengthwise in my experience. I used both Superglue and Gorilla Glue and would lean towards the latter as it seems (only opinion/observance) to be less affected by heat build-up. Nothing scientific here, I usually pack some magazines when I go out and my first Superglue* repair melted apart at 3-4 mags, the second application after some filing holds great. The one I did with Gorilla Glue has seen upwards of 500 rounds per pop and is hangin' tough. I bought a decent replacement I haven't used yet. (*note that not all 'Superglue' is indeed the actual product...)

Personally, I think a good matching wood stock set 'makes' an AK. I've got one that has a 'dress' pistol grip and forend set that are replaced with cheap replacements for actual shooting. Close to the originals but expendable, at the end of the day ring gouges and burns don't matter. Always an option and relatively inexpensive if you piece a set together. And there's always the polymer option...

Feedback Score

Gorilla glue !!!!!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

OK, I have a cracked Yugo handguard now. How on earth do you clamp the things?

4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Branspop
    Find a peice of wood that will fit inside your handguard that is the right thickness. That will make it easier to clamp. +1 on Gorilla glue.

Now for a little fun.

Throw it away and buy another??? Sheesh guys. We're supposed to be builders, not buyers.
    You only have the rights you are willing to fight for.
    I Like 1911's.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gorilla glue ++++ i hope i have the right number of +s to be in line . Clamp up the handguard using surgical tubing , once you have the hand guard situated right take the surgical tubing and tighten it down , holds like a champ ( or a gorilla ?) I keep surgical tubing around for all kinds of stock repairs , you just have to find the right angle to get the bite on the wood , if you can not get surical tubing I have had luck by taking rubber bands and tightening them down on wood too. But i suppose that any good rubber strapping would work just as well , I just know what I use.
    MOLON LABE !!!!!

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. --Benjemin Franklin

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. -- Sigmund Freud

TO vote for the lesser of two evils , is to still vote for evil.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Thanks!!!

Feedback Score

Ditto on Six M's post. The site he listed the link to is very good for stock repair and finishing.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Mauser,

Thanks. I couldn't get the tubing, but found some surgical tape that I used. I found a tube that fit the curve just right (would you believe a pooper-scooper?), put a thin bead of glue, per the instructions, and taped it up real tight. I used Elmer's Ultimate Glue ( http://paint-and-supplies.hardwarest...ue-179150.aspx ) that I happened to have on-hand. After it cured I sanded it down and stained it. You can barely tell it is there. If you look for it, you will see it but it doesn't stand out.

Thanks for the help.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.