Anyone use spray cans?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone use spray cans?

Jc2005

Postak Anyone use spray cans?

Hello,

i plan on painting my parts using; heat temp spray paint in spray can form... No baking, nadda! I just want it to look presentable and not look like a pos. Heard of bake on paints, what results has anyone got with the bake ons, plain old spray on etc? Saw one guy even use walgreen blueing product, but i forgot what he used? Show and tell w/pics and info if you have it. Thanks for stoppin bye. Jc
    Last edited by Jc2005; 12-31-2005 at 03:34 PM.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

If you have to use a spray can , at least use the Gunkote that Brownells sell's . You will have to bake it , small price to pay for what you get though .
    Will Hayden, RedJacket Firearms
    www.Redstick-Firearms.com

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Alot of people have had good results with spray enamel or epoxy. I couldn't stand it, it's not durable enough, easily scratches and chips. I use Norrell's now and bake it on. Works great. I stripped off all the older guns I sprayed on and re-did them.

I only use spray cans as targets now.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

The high temp rustoleum looks good but it does not hold up well to bore solvents. Hoppes and gun scrubber takes some off every cleaning. The duplicolor engine enamal ceramic will hold up much longer.

Feedback Score

The first Ak I refished I used walmart engine paint. Baked it for 30-40 min and it was as wear resistant as my Gun-Kote spray jobs. Had more of a dull black with a slight bluish tint in sun light though

Jc2005

Quote Originally Posted by Red Jacket Firearms
    If you have to use a spray can , at least use the Gunkote that Brownells sell's . You will have to bake it , small price to pay for what you get though .
    Thanks..... I heard about it, may just do that. Jc

Jc2005

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 191145acp
    The first Ak I refished I used walmart engine paint. Baked it for 30-40 min and it was as wear resistant as my Gun-Kote spray jobs. Had more of a dull black with a slight bluish tint in sun light though
    kewl deal, sounds like it worked. Jc

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

a lot of different things can be used but time is the story teller and most non gun finishes will come off after awhile if not sooner. As Will said, at least order a can of gunkote from Brownells and use it. Make sure to buy extra spray valves while you are at it in case one clogs. If you dont have an extra your finish will get screwed and you will end up starting over........
    FIREARM REFINISHING AT ITS FINEST !

Refinishing and Builds
    AK and variants
    FAL/AR-15/Handguns/Shotguns

Affordable prices/Licensed Gunsmith
    4 to 6 week turnaround
    -Send an email for a price quote today and
    check out our website-

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Brownell's Aluma-Hyde II finish is a good one that will withstand bore solvents and "deet" in insecticide sprays. Comes in spray cans or liquid. No need to bake but it does take a good week to dry and cure. Costs about $11 a can but it's good stuff.

If you use GunKote and bake it, make sure the wife has left for a few hours and have the windows closest to the oven open and even a large fan may help. While baking the smell is a very horrible chemical smell, your neighbors may call the cops on you for running a drug lab it smells so bad. Nice finish when done, just smells so horrible when baking.

Feedback Score

I would suggest GunKote. I've used the appliance enamel and the engine paint. Neither are close to the GunKote in durability.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.