Hope for Buggered Polymer Stock Screw Holes

Thread: Hope for Buggered Polymer Stock Screw Holes

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Default Hope for Buggered Polymer Stock Screw Holes

Polymer stocks, in some ways, are less robust than wood stocks even though they are more weatherproof.

If you ever remove the polymer stock from the rifle, you may find when you put it back on that the screw holes are loose enough from then on to allow the screws to back out just from the vibration of firing.

What can be done to prevent this?

Enter a product sold in just about every automotive department around the country. The generic description is "plastic steel putty." It generally is an epoxy putty impregnated with steel particles or similar media.

I like the Quiksteel brand.

Simply knead a small amount in your fingers as per the instructions and push into the screw holes. You must work quickly, as it sets in a few minutes, but since using this on one of my rifles, the screws have not even offered to loosen again even after several hundred rounds.

One caution: if some of the mixture you've poked into the screw holes falls all the way down into the cavity of a hollow polymer stock, it will harden and rattle around in the stock. It is best to be careful and use no more than necessary to fill the holes.

Either that, or let the "discards" harden down inside the stock, IF the stock has an opening through which you can dump the hardened blobs and get them out of the rifle.

I won't address whether or not you can easily remove the screws again once the putty has set.

I also can't guarantee it will hold the screws in an excessively thin plastic stock, like on the Arsenal SLR95. I used it on a standard hollow polymer military style AK stock that had reasonably thick walls, and I'm very satisfied with the results.

For a more-or-less permanent repair of buggered screw holes you can't beat plastic steel putty.

FAST DRYING: QUIKSTEEL firmly sets in 15 minutes, and is completely cured and ready to drill, sand, tap, prime, machine and paint in one hour (longer in colder conditions).
    STRONG:There are two ways strength is measured. One is on the horizontal plan ? this is called "shear strength" and the other is on the vertical plane and this is called "tensile strength."
    SHEAR STRENGTH ? When cured (one-hour drying time) QUIKSTEEL has a shear strength of 740 pounds per square inch. This means that when two pieces of material are bonded together with a one-inch bond of
    QUIKSTEEL, it would take a pressure greater than 740 pounds to break the bond. For comparison, pine timber has a ?shear strength? of 400 pounds per square inch. QUIKSTEEL is almost twice as strong as pine timber.
    TENSILE STRENGTH ?
    QUIKSTEEL has a tensile strength of 6,200 pounds per square inch.
    HARD:
    QUIKSTEEL is one of the hardest materials next to steel. Technically it is rated at D-87. "D" is the highest hardness rating in the Shore rating system. QUIKSTEEL can be compared to ABS plastic (material used to manufacturer automobiles) or the fibre epoxy wings on the B2 bomber. When cured, QUIKSTEEL can be machined in any way that steel or aluminium can be machined, drilled, tapped, milled, sanded, sawed, routed, primed, and painted. Anything you can do to metal or wood ? you can do to QUIKSTEEL.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.