Homade park solution heater questions - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Homade park solution heater questions

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)

I was a little apprehesive at first too. It's pretty simple once you get the idea of how it's done. Now that I did some smaller parts, I'll have a better idea of how to set up an actual station for it.
    Another question.
    A barrel with heavy pitting that blasting won't completely remove. Should I try to sand the pits out or will the parking fill them in?

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

If the pits are small they won't really get filled in, but the rough texture of the parkerizing will help hide them. If its a part that is going to show I'd remove them if I was concerned about them showing. Of course since you have the ability to parkerize now why not park it and see how it looks. If the pits show too much you can sand them out and parkerize it again. If you're going to cover the parts in gunkote and the pits are big, you can fill them in with jb weld and no one will be the wiser if you do a good job.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)

I didn't think of JB Weld but I bet that it would work well. I used Durafil on one that I was duracoating once, and it worked well. JB Weld is quite a bit less expensive, that's a plus.
    I had a calamity of errors on one batch. A miserable failure, it all turned rust red in the solution.
    It was raining when I blasted the parts (very humid) and I forgot that you need to keep the level up by replacing the boiled out water (solution too strong).
    It's a learning curve, but it's fun.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I did that to a batch of 4-5 garand receivers once. I had blasted them and they got damp from hosing off the trigger groups that I had just taken out of the tank. If its going to be a while before I can parkerize a part I'll spray it off with wd40 and just degrease it with laquer thinner before I drop it in the tank. Mark the fluid level on the jugs you keep the parkering solution in and top them up after you're done. I store my solution in the 1 gal windshield solution jugs with the child proof caps and mark them as such to keep the wife from putting it in the car. I also mark the outside of the tank with a sharpie for the rough level if im going to have the burner going a long time. That way I can add some water as it evaporates.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

there is a guy on Akforum that has made one from pvc pipe and a water heater element. He wired it though a dimmer switch so temp control is near exact. The whole thing was cheap to build.
    I'll try and find the link.

Found it.Page 3 has real good pics of the setup. I plan to build one like it.

'http://www.theakforum.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=117282&hilit=parkerizing

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.