Blonde Wood Furniture (how to achieve this look) - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Blonde Wood Furniture (how to achieve this look)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by sjohnson View Post
    You can only get true wood bleaches via mail-order/internet these days. The chains don't want "liability."

Oxalic acid is one true wood bleach, do a 'net search on it. There are others.

As far as the finish on that pistol grip, whatever I end up using will be decided when I build the Romanian underfolder it was bought to go with. Almost certainly shellac, as that's what the Romanians used, but the color (if any) is yet to be decided. What's in the picture is the natural color of the Romanian beechwood, or as close to it as I can get it through cleaning.

I don't like "clorox" bleach, sometimes the color comes out well and sometimes it doesn't.
    The folks at Home Depot had no clue as to what wood bleach is. I decided to forgo the Clorox and I'll order the real deal online. I'll be sure to post pics too. Thanks for your help guys.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Commercial source for Oxalic acid cleaners is the well known OxyClean. Very easily found everywhere
    OxiClean - Around The House

Home Depot should have had some sort of wood cleaner/bleaching agent for outdoor wood decks.

BTW - hate to break this to you, but you'll never get the nice blond Beechwood color in the furniture you show in your photos from those Bulgy stocks

Before OxyClean

After OxyClean and Shellac application

Did I do that?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Illya Kuryakin View Post
    Commercial source for Oxalic acid cleaners is the well known OxyClean. Very easily found everywhere
    OxiClean - Around The House

Home Depot should have had some sort of wood cleaner/bleaching agent for outdoor wood decks.

BTW - hate to break this to you, but you'll never get the nice blond Beechwood color in the furniture you show in your photos from those Bulgy stocks

Before OxyClean

After OxyClean and Shellac application

I've got some OxyClean powder at home. Did you use a strong mix of OxyClean and water or just follow the instructions for the standard mix? How did you apply it to the wood? Soak it or wipe it on with a sponge?

I realize that I probably won't get a nice clean blond look, but I'll take what I can get. Yours turned out nice.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Have you already removed the shellac (it's not lacquer) finish on the furniture? Alcohol works okay but lacquer thinner will wash off the shellac and dries quick. If not you need to remove the finish before soaking in OxyClean.

I used a small plastic tub (the type old guys soak their feet in) such that the wood will all fit laid flat on their sides and put in around half to 3/4 a scoop of OxyClean and filled with hot water from the tap. Add the wood. Need enough that the wood will float in the mixture. Let soak 15-20 minutes on each side. Rinse with clean water then let air dry. They will lighten in color a lot and does not damage the wood like bleach.

The stuff also does wonders on laminated Romy wood.

Did I do that?

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

OxyClean, never heard that one before, that's my "learn something new" thing for the day.

Here's some Romy G furniture that was stripped then bleached (super market stuff), a light sanding then put on some tung oil.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Illya Kuryakin View Post
    Have you already removed the shellac (it's not lacquer) finish on the furniture? Alcohol works okay but lacquer thinner will wash off the shellac and dries quick. If not you need to remove the finish before soaking in OxyClean.

I used a small plastic tub (the type old guys soak their feet in) such that the wood will all fit laid flat on their sides and put in around half to 3/4 a scoop of OxyClean and filled with hot water from the tap. Add the wood. Need enough that the wood will float in the mixture. Let soak 15-20 minutes on each side. Rinse with clean water then let air dry. They will lighten in color a lot and does not damage the wood like bleach.

The stuff also does wonders on laminated Romy wood.

No, I haven't started the project yet, but what you said will help quite a bit. Your refinishing job looks great. Great info! Much appreciated.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Coils View Post
    OxyClean, never heard that one before, that's my "learn something new" thing for the day.

Here's some Romy G furniture that was stripped then bleached (super market stuff), a light sanding then put on some tung oil.

Nice work there!

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Oxiclean is good, but the active ingredient in oxiclean is sodium carbonate peroxyhydrate, which is not oxalic acid. http://www.ahprofessional.com/MSDS/M...lean%20VSR.pdf
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Hmmm, I'd thought it was all the same stuff. Is that the same as carbolic acid? It's very gentle to wood. I like the stuff and the results.

Here's some photos of the Bulgy wood (same as you show in photos at the beginning of this thread) after treatment in OxyClean for your reference. The wood is bare wood at this point

Here's a couple pf photos of Oxycleaned Romy butt. Bare wood, no finish.

I've used OxyClean on all the stocks I've refinished and have been very happy with the results

Did I do that?

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Sorry if I sounded like I thought Oxiclean was no good, I've used it more than once on stocks, and use it all the time in clothes washing.
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.