Blonde Wood Furniture (how to achieve this look)
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Blonde Wood Furniture (how to achieve this look)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Blonde Wood Furniture (how to achieve this look)

I have some Bulgy AK 74 wood furniture that I plan on stripping the lacquer from and refinishing it to give it the blonde look. Any tips as to what I should use to remove the old stain/finish and what I should use to stain it after that? Thanks.

This is what is looks like now:

This is the look I want.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

I went from much worse than yours to this:

I first soaked the grip in lacquer thinner for a week. I then brought a pan of water to boil (outdoors!), and carefully placed the soaked grip into the water. The boiling water caused the lacquer thinner to be rapidly expelled from the grip, taking with it grease, grime and dirt. I do mean rapidly, you need the pan to be only half full of water because this causes a foaming that can quickly overflow the pan.

I repeated this process three times, then let the grip dry for two weeks. What you see above is the result.

ETA, I have no reason to think that gasoline would work any different. Easier to come by, maybe not as expensive. Be careful in either case, you don't want a fire!
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

卡拉希尼可夫突擊步槍

4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sjohnson View Post

I first soaked the grip in lacquer thinner for a week. I then brought a pan of water to boil (outdoors!), and carefully placed the soaked grip into the water. The boiling water caused the lacquer thinner to be rapidly expelled from the grip, taking with it grease, grime and dirt. I do mean rapidly, you need the pan to be only half full of water because this causes a foaming that can quickly overflow the pan.

I repeated this process three times, then let the grip dry for two weeks. What you see above is the result.

ETA, I have no reason to think that gasoline would work any different. Easier to come by, maybe not as expensive. Be careful in either case, you don't want a fire!
    Nice. That turned out quite well. Thanks for the help!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sjohnson View Post

Did you or are you going to apply any blond or golden stain to the wood?

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Johnny, I'd wait 'til you get yours stripped before trying to figure out a finish.
    You might have to lighten the wood, BlueJack's suggestion does work but it depends on the condition & type of the wood too, you might not be able to get that blonde look with what you have.
    And if you bleach it do a 50/50 mix with water.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Coils View Post
    Johnny, I'd wait 'til you get yours stripped before trying to figure out a finish.
    You might have to lighten the wood, BlueJack's suggestion does work but it depends on the condition & type of the wood too, you might not be able to get that blonde look with what you have.
    And if you bleach it do a 50/50 mix with water.
    Thanks. I'm going to buy a 50/50 bleach mix today and some Formby's wood stain remover to remove the original lacquer and stain first. I may not be able to get the exact blond look that I want with the wood I have, but I'm going to try to get as close as possible. Any suggestions as to which brand of bleach to buy?

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Post Johnny.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny 5.56 View Post
    Thanks. I'm going to buy a 50/50 bleach mix today and some Formby's wood stain remover to remove the original lacquer and stain first. I may not be able to get the exact blond look that I want with the wood I have, but I'm going to try to get as close as possible. Any suggestions as to which brand of bleach to buy?

Thanks!
    What the guys said. Clorox I guess?? Make sure you remove all metal.
    That was a good tip from sj. Hell I used to scrape and scrub.
    Be sure too pull the spring out of the butt stock. Give it a good tug it will come out.
    I only soak it for about 3 hours in the 50-50 mix of bleach and water. Someone said that in a prior post here so I followed their advice.
    They said the wood gets mushy if left too long??
    Take some picts. as you progress.
    Bluejack your input was incredible for the guy. A picture of bleach.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 4thIDvet View Post
    What the guys said. Clorox I guess?? Make sure you remove all metal.
    That was a good tip from sj. Hell I used to scrape and scrub.
    Be sure too pull the spring out of the butt stock. Give it a good tug it will come out.
    I only soak it for about 3 hours in the 50-50 mix of bleach and water. Someone said that in a prior post here so I followed their advice.
    They said the wood gets mushy if left too long??
    Take some picts. as you progress.
    Bluejack your input was incredible for the guy. A picture of bleach.
    I just got back from Lowes and picked up some Formby's Paint & Poly Remover, some brushes, a sponge, and Minwax "Natural" stain. I asked about wood bleach, and they only had Clorox "Pro Results". It's listed as an outdoor bleach, but not a wood bleach. I'm going to go to Home Depot after work.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

You can only get true wood bleaches via mail-order/internet these days. The chains don't want "liability."

Oxalic acid is one true wood bleach, do a 'net search on it. There are others.

As far as the finish on that pistol grip, whatever I end up using will be decided when I build the Romanian underfolder it was bought to go with. Almost certainly shellac, as that's what the Romanians used, but the color (if any) is yet to be decided. What's in the picture is the natural color of the Romanian beechwood, or as close to it as I can get it through cleaning.

I don't like "clorox" bleach, sometimes the color comes out well and sometimes it doesn't.
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.