Best heat source for parkerizing
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best heat source for parkerizing

Feedback Score

Default Best heat source for parkerizing

I'm thinking about putting together a Parkerizing set-up. I see most people use a gas burner while some high priced tanks come with an electric heating element.

Since money is in short supply I was thinking of buying one of those low cost dual electric hot plates off ebay and then just set my tank on it.

(If I make a set-up I am going to make my tank from 14 gauge stainless steel and it will measure 6" x 6" x 40")

Electric Double Burner Hot Plate Heating Cooking Stove Portable Dorm Camping New | eBay

Has anyone used one of these hot plates before as a heat source for Parkerizing?

The one I picked seems to be longer than most.

Any thoughts?

Idea's

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

I use a propane burner for my tanks so that I can get them hot for blueing. That might work for Park, but I'd look for a propane burner just in case you may want to hot blue down the road.

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

Keep in mind that you should have three tanks set up. I'd say two minimum. Degrease, pre-heat & park. Only the park tank needs to be stainless.
    I use the three burner propane camp cookers. Agri Supply has BY FAR the cheapest price on these. Of course then you need tanks & regulators for them.
    I also bought a used kitchen range for my shop for $25.00. I use it to bake on gun paint & powder coating. For small parts I could just use the stove top.

Cast Iron Stove, Triple Burner Stove, Camp Stove | Agri Supply, 48591, Carolina
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

I seldom talk to liberals.............................. But when I do, I order fries............

4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

I use that burner too Bradrock

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

Yeah, I don't know if you can even build a pipe burner for $27.00. I think Agri Supply prices include shipping. At least they always have for me. They had good prices on 40 pound propane tanks also:

Old pic. I have insulation & drywall now.
    And there is barely room to turn around in my 30 x 40 shop.

I know 555th's shop is as clean as an operating room! Heh..Heh.
    I need a shop maid.
    Or hire Dutigaf for a week!

I seldom talk to liberals.............................. But when I do, I order fries............

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

i've use 2 single burner electric hotplates for both bluing and park. no problems whatsoever. take about an hour or a bit more to preheat full large tank. after that i decrease to medium and maintain solution temp w/o problems.
    I now do not preheat for park - results were just as good as with pre-heat (when i did.)

pre-heating for bluing is a must.

stainless tank for bluing is highly recommended to prevent solution rusting. also use stainless hanging wires and stainless mesh basket as well.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Brownells specifically warns against using SS tanks for bluing salts, I always used their black iron tank and wire.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...-prod1064.aspx

"DON'T USE IT FOR BLUING SALTS!! Bluing Salts in the presence of stainless steel and gun steel frequently can create "galvanic" action (electric current flow) between the two dissimilar metals resulting in a "false plate" of either chemicals (streaking the bluing with random iridescent blues/greens/purples) or stainless steel (giving patches of random silver specks/spots). So - use for all other tanks to prevent rusting and mess; but keep your bluing salts contented and bluing right in our Black Iron Bluing Tanks!!"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

interesting

Feedback Score

Good stuff. This as been a big help!

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

Something else I do, is I have a slab of 3/8" steel under my park tank to help give even heat & avoid hot spots.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.