OK Wood Wizards-Yugo? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: OK Wood Wizards-Yugo?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ohmysac
    Oh, as for the teak vs elm debate. Here's a nice informative thread with lots of opinions.

http://p077.ezboard.com/fparallaxscu...topic&index=10
    Great info.I was all set to make teak pg's,now I'm wondering where I can find some similar "elm".Any ideas please let me know.
    Thank You

Feedback Score

gaucho1 - you gonna make more than one set. Sounds like there would be a market.

Feedback Score

I made my pistol grip out of poplar and the grain matches pretty good . Stained it mahogany/and oak stain mix and it matches my handguards & butt stock. Also matches wood on the underfolder

4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ugh!
    gaucho1 - you gonna make more than one set. Sounds like there would be a market.
    If I'm going to the effort I would like to us the same or very similar wood.
    Only thing I can think of is possible cracked or very poor fixed stock
    coming back to cfs.I wonder if there is enough meat in the fixed stock for 1
    or two pg's.I bought underfolders so no way to check.
    Any feedback is helpful.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by teadie
    I too beleive it to be some sort of elm. Really pretty wood actually. My process is simmer in water with some simple green in it. Not too hot though. The hot water will raise up dents. Let it dry a few days. Then I lightly sand with 150 grit sand paper. The Yugo wood is grainy by nature, after that a couple of coats of Tung Oil.

Here's the handguards from an M90 I used to own. When I bought the rifle it was covered in cosmo from 10 years previous. I used the above method and acheived this result.

Hey Teadie intrested in your metod-About how much simple green and how long do you simmer it for?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

What about filling in gouges??? i have set that is nice, except it looks like someone was using a nice chunck of concrete as a rest and firing full auto! the bottom of th egrip has 3-4 nice, deep long gouges. i know they won't sand out, pop out, etc. what a bout a sandable/stainable wood filler???

Feedback Score

After reading what the wood worker said through that link I have decided to use only heat, and the (real) tung or linseed oils. I want my wood to last that extra 100 years. Wood workers should know whats up with wood. Thanks to the wood worker for explaining that stuff for us.
    Last edited by pigbutcherer; 04-26-2005 at 08:12 PM.

Feedback Score

I think I'm just going to heat out the excess cosmo and keep it as is. It's amazing how much oozes out with a blow dryer.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.