The "Cheaper" Duracoat Experiment. - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The "Cheaper" Duracoat Experiment.

Feedback Score

Sherwin Williams Industrial/Commercial finish places. They normal places don't carry the stuff.
    It's innocent until proven guilty no matter how much you hate the present or future defendant.
    At 15.05 posts per day, can we really call Custer "Moderate"? - Bluedog

Feedback Score

Corpsie,

How did you cure it? Bake or air dry, and details, please.

Feedback Score

Polane is a good coating. I've painted hundreds of rifle stocks and 3 blazers and a CUCV with it. Its good for stuff that can't handle curing temperatures or won't fit in the oven for which GunKote type products are good. I also coated the gun tub on the Raptor Suburban/minigun project with it. It is a thicker coating, so mags would probably be ok, but I recommend against coating internals with it. SW has industrial stores for which a resale license is required and their home stores which usually only carry house paint.

With the UV catalyst (still fades in AZ sun), 2 gallons of #69 reducer and a gallon of paint, I can usually get it for just under $100. The sheen of black depends on the amount of reducer, as well as the amount of flattening agent. This green is the ARS "Messherschmit Me262 green/gray" that SW mixes for me. Completely disappears at night.

(well I guess this board isn't set up for editing link images after they have loaded)

Last edited by Sangrun Hunter; 05-20-2005 at 04:19 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Welcome gunplumber.

Your reputation precedes you.

I'm honored you're here!
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by woodmann
    Corpsie,

How did you cure it? Bake or air dry, and details, please.
    Air dry. The initial hardening takes like 4 hours. I'm not exactly sure how long because I did it at night. The rest of the curing takes a week, but you are able to handle it within the initial 4 hours of drying. Since I let it sit overnight, I can tell you that after 10 hours it's extremely hard. I hit it against my bench vise and it didn't chip. Hitting it against a surface that dented the metal, however, did cause that single point of impact to chip, but the chip didn't spread.
    It's innocent until proven guilty no matter how much you hate the present or future defendant.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by gunplumber
    With the UV catalyst (still fades in AZ sun), 2 gallons of #69 reducer and a gallon of paint, I can usually get it for just under $100. The sheen of black depends on the amount of reducer,
    Will more reducer cause it to be less shiny?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

If you make up another test run I can make some paint mask on my plotter. The main thing is testing to see if the paint will attack the paint mask. The pattern could be just about anything within reason.

Take a good side view pic and maybe even a top view of the rifle then draw up the pattern. Or draw up the pattern and send me the pic of the rifle.

Feedback Score

Stickerman,

Test run?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Yeah, like painting a new project. If you've seen the Peel N Spray setup it's basically the same thing. I personally don't have time to mess with finding the paint and trying it out.

Feedback Score

I could do a magazine in a camo pattern if that's the type of test you want me to conduct.

I'll just need to order some OD green paint to do it though.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Search tags for this page

guncoat alternative

how much does polane s plus polyurethane enamel cost

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.