Gunco Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
That counts for one US compliant part...unless you get the handguards from it also!!!!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
gtbehary said:
That counts for one US compliant part...unless you get the handguards from it also!!!!!
Going for the hand guards as well out of the Ash wood, I'm going to use a little more fancy wood for the pistol grip. After X-Mas I?ll have some picture from the 35mm camera to show how things have gone.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Nice wood. Just put a hole through the center and install it. It would look very original. HaHa!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got out the old Rip saw and sharpened it up and started to square up the slab. It took close to 45 minutes of sawing on each side of the slab.

Finished rough squaring the slab with a hand plane to square it up enough to work with it on the table saw.

What?s left of the slab after cutting out stock, upper and lower hand grip blanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn?t take any pictures when I started on the upper hand guard because I honestly didn?t know how far I was going to get making my own wood furniture. I figured if I started with the upper hand guard and manage to make one that worked the rest of it should be down hill from there.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here?s the stock blank before I roughed cut the stock out with the band saw. I?m using a 1 inch M1 carbine extension pad that I bought on-line for a recoil pad.

Starting to mount the recoil pad.

In-letting for the pad is done.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cleaning up the band saw cut on the table saw. By clamping the blank in the drill press vise and starting at the end and moving the blank a little bit over each pass I was able to get a nice clean and even surface. I cut close to the finished marks and than filed and sanded the last bit till the stock blank fit in to the receiver nice and tight but not to tight .

If you don?t have a lot of experience working with a table saw don?t even think about trying it this way!!!! If you lose a finger or a hand or a foot or any other part of your body it?s your own fault. You have been warned.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I used the drill press with a Forstener bit to rough out the space for the tang on the stock mount than cleaned it up with a narrow chisel. This picture was taken after I was done with the drill press. When I was using the drill I had the vise clamped down tight to the table and than by un-clamping the vise and moving it over a little at a time I was able to get a pretty clean opening using the Forstener bit.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
What fine craftsmanship! I really envy your workmanship Wraith. I wish I could do something like that with my table saw.

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
Man I'm impressed!!!! I didn't know if you were serious when I 1st read your post and saw a pic of a section of a log sitting on a chair but I'm a believer now!! Nice work Wraith!!!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Grendeljaeger said:
Man I'm impressed!!!! I didn't know if you were serious when I 1st read your post and saw a pic of a section of a log sitting on a chair but I'm a believer now!! Nice work Wraith!!!!
The voices were telling me to be bad :naughty: when I posted that teaser picture of just the wood slab. Kind of like a Hillbilly mouse trap (a piece of cheese and a really big mallet) you put the cheese out and wait for some thing to come a long. :lol: oooh but you were to smart to go for the cheesse. :lol: :thankyou: For the complement I just hope when I?m all done working on my AKM the end results justify all the work I?ve put into it so far.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
magnus392 said:
BAD ARSE MANG!!! You rock...perhaps we could talk about bull-pup stocks:D
This is most likely a one time deal for me :frown: . Last spring I developed tenosynovitis in both hands when I was refinishing my Yugo Sks. Now, since I?ve started working on my AKM late summer and the wood stock now I have more fingers popping, clicking and sticking and hurting. So its unlikely I?ll be doing any thing this involved again. :frown:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts